FIRST RIVER BOAT *Need Advice*

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by HauntedByWaters, Oct 4, 2006.

1. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Firstly, I have a good amount of experience white water rafting and feel confident running most rivers. I am looking at getting a fishing boat, either a raft with rowing frame (Which is what I am used to) or a drift boat. Mostly, it needs to be a boat that can fish 2 people besides the rower, not one of those little pontoon boats. I am wondering what brands you all like, especially the more economical ones. I also just need tips in general as to what I may want because at this point I am not sure. I have seen plenty of the ultra custom boats out there so I think I have a pretty good idea as far as accessories. ALSO ANYONE SELLING A BOAT PM ME! I tend to feel like a river raft is more versatile for trips but maybe not. Mostly I need advice: brand names et cetera. Thanks!

2. YAKIMA

YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

This has the potential to be huge...

3. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    How about a price guideline? Just about any new boat you get is going to be a good boat. Much like reels and rods, it's really a personal preference thing.

4. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    try using the "search" link on the forum as this topic has been discussed in length quite a bit.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/search.php?searchid=122943

also, Chris has put together a sweet directory with 99% of all the boat
    manufacturers available..... http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/links/boats/

If you go for a raft, I'd recommend not getting the rowing frame, but get a fishing frame, they are more expensive but allow anglers to fish and integrate with rowing frame, they are a bit more expensive but are a must for a true fishing raft

check out this raft setup: http://toasthost.com/jasonandlori/gallery/album20/Naches_Fishing_Trip_004?full=1 - that aire boat has a front a rear angling setup and is a sweet size for smaller water like the Naches River...

5. HauntedByWaters

Lets start with 3,000 I could nudge to 4,000$ if I feel it is worth it.

6. HauntedByWaters

That boat looks sweet!!! Where do they sell raft packages like that? I have been to NRS they had something like that but a lot bigger. That smaller boat seem more friendly to summer fishing around here which is a huge plus to me.

7. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    You may want to check out the new 2 man Watermaster Kodiak. There seems to be a change of ownership at the company, and there may be some issues with that whole thing, but you can check them out for giggles at:

http://kickboat.com/

Hopefully the company is working out their organizational bugs. I can't say enough about my 1-man Kodiak- it's absolutely great for my uses.

8. watt7770

watt7770 STEELIE DON

Your ticket if you want to get something that works for everything, even whitewater is NRS. You say you have quite a bit of experience with white water? If you have a good friend that is a guide they can get you any package from NRS for a good discount

9. Jay Thacker

Jay Thacker Here fishy, fishy, fishy

Media:
    I would try Boulder Boats. These boats are made from a polmer. So they are basicly some kind of plastic. From what I heard they are the quitest, best floating, and most durable drift boats made. My uncle has had his in less then four inches of water and had no problems. Also the polmer slides over rocks instead of sticking to them like metals or fiberglass. They are made in Boulder, Co. I do not own one mostly because I can't afford one. But if I could I would. Just my 2 cents.

10. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    I would suggest a cat, they are much nicer to fish out of and if you do it right you can put them on an airplane and take them into the bush.

11. shawn k

shawn k Member

12. joshdjohns

joshdjohns cadmonkey

I second the vote for the cat boat. My friend has the NRS boat and it is great. He has flown it into the backcountry a few times as the frame breaks down. We did a float at low water levels and we were able to straddle the rocks in places, rafts would have hung up for sure. I really like drift boats, but mine is a damn sail if the wind is blowing. But….if you have kids or dogs the cat boat may not be the easiest thing. Good luck!

13. TWD

TWD Travis

Media:
    i've got an old post in classifieds offering my outcast raft; i believe outcast rafts are made by aire and they add the fishing frame.

to the classified point, I was thinking i wanted a drift boat but after considering the rivers I want to run I am not so sure anymore

to best answer your question about what type of boat we should ask what rivers are you going to fish?

ie broader windy flatter water a drift boat (low profile) would be preferable conversely Oly Pen waters for winter steelheading would we very high risk in that same boat.

that consideration brought me back to liking my raft ... not so nimble for MT trout waters but it works, has a floor which is good for when my kids come along (which rules out the cat for me), and is really safe for when the Sol Duc is running low flow

no boat fits all options but I think the Outcast raft covers the bases quite nicely, if a floor is less interesting to you the cat would be a good route.

14. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Here is what I just upgraded to from a 12.5 Achilles. This is a Aire 143 "D". Nice, wide and stable. My last boat wasn't self bailing and didn't have a hard floor.
    I also got an cover and an American Whitewater trailer for it, as I'll don't plan on ever deflating it or taking off the frame. The trailer is incredible. It has a roller on the end for easy load & launching. One guy can move the boat around with no effort at all.
    I'll be spending lots of time up on the OP this winter.

15. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    nevermind

16. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
  17. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    Where is you get your trailer? My aunt and uncle have a nice raft w/ a fishing frame, but to load it back on the trailer it's usually easiest to take the frame off, load the raft and put the frame back on. They do have a trailer, so may just end up getting some rollers and a winch as a less expensive option.

They got the hard floor on their new boat, but if I was going to use it for fishing exclusively, I would consider getting a casting platform to make it easier to stand. The floor is much better than the old boat they had, but still a challenge to stand up and cast, even with the bar they have up front to stand against.

Enjoy the new boat, wish I could get one soon. I personally would go with a drift boat, but have seen and been in some sweet rafts that are outfitted well for fishing!

Bill :cool:

18. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    FLYBILL,
    We got the trailer from Dana at Swiftwater. Here is a link to American Whitewaters website. I believe you can also buy directly from the company in Oregon
    http://americanwhitewaterproducts.com/
    My boat is used only for fishing, so the frame will never come off. The frame I got has hard floors in the front, center and rear. Also lean bars in the front and rear.
    Taking the frame off and on to load the boat sounds like a real hassle. Your idea off getting a roller and winch sounds like the ticket.
    The drift boat vs raft decision is always tough. For the stuff I like to fish, I just felt the raft would be a better choice. I just mooch rides from my friends when I need the driftboat :rofl: .
    Brian