First rod recommendations

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Griswald, Dec 14, 2005.

1. FlyShopKristin

FlyShopKristin Going Online

Media:
    Home Page:
    I typically use a clear poly-eurethane dip when applying feather inlays. The inalys have to be fully dry before beginning the epoxy.

2. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    color preserver is an excellent way to go... Lemme dig up an little tutorial on this and post it to the site.

BTW, the use of Permagloss is *NOT* recommended. It smells bad, dries too quickly, and is a bugger to get smooth... USE CP (Gudebrod 811 available at sportco for 3.95!)... Also, please note this tutorial was sent to me by Mike Barkely and was written by someone other than myself. If you have the time, please send a thank you email to those folks....

-- Cheers
    -- James

Attached Files:

3. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

For holding a feather in place, I simply put fly head cement on the backside, then put and held it in place with my thumb. I've only done a few, but that worked fine.

4. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Oh, but what happens if it turns out perfect...then you will no doubt in the future wish you had invested in a higher end blank! If your friend has the right equipment and some reasonable experience, you'll have success. One recommendation I have for you is to get some practice sections and do just that...practice wrapping, burnishing and finishing. Since black and brown dominate the majority of blank colors, finding a section of each and wrapping with different colors will not only develop your wrapping skill, but you can finish with and w/o color preserve so that you can see effects and what you like best.
    I have been building rods for 15+ years now and started with Cabela's PT & FT series. I still fish those rods, but have since grown into higher performance blanks. For some time, the Cabela's blanks were being made by G.Loomis, but I'm not sure now. Sage and St. Croix are my preferences these day's. I just finished a St. Croix SCV 905-4 with the pearlesence brown scrim...gorgeous and snubs it's nose at "in your face wind". Finding the blank on sale for $170, I have about $250 invested in what retails finished for $540.
    Bottom-line is don't be timid, take your time, practice and if you plan on fishing long into the future, buy a mid to high end blank....you'll be glad down the road.

5. Griswald

Griswald a.k.a. Griswald

Hello all,
    Thanks for all of your help, knowledge and support. I just finished my new Sage VPS 4 piece 9 foot 5 weight rod.

It turned out very nice, I think for a first try. I will certainly build more rods as this was a fun endeavor. The 2 hardest parts for me were: Learning to correctly wrap the guides onto the rod, and applying the 2 pack Flex coat finish. I found that it took me about 5 coats to get the effect I wanted, and I ended up with 5 as the 4th was mixed wrong and dried tacky...(very important to mix ratio's correctly)

I also wish that the flex coat was a bit less thick but I understand that they make a lighter viscosity version...

All in all I would completely encourage anyone who wants to try it to build their own rod, it is a worth while project.

Best,
    Griswald

6. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    Any of the 2 part finishes get thick after around 20-30 minutes. This period of time is known as "pot life". Generally it's better to do a quick application first, then go back and fix any problem areas. Otherwise, you'll burn through the 20-30 minutes of good viscosity just dabbing things here and there :)

Good job on getting your first rod done though! When are we going to see pics? :)

7. kenai

kenai New Member

hey mag-i put some color preserver on the blank and then laid the feather in its
    place and then finished over it. seemed to work fine for me. fisheye ps. it's
    real easy to do !!!!!

8. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    When i go cheap i build the cabelas blanks. there fast action (FT) runs around $110 for a 7 weight. i built there 6 weight and i think it's a great rod. i've also built the vps in 10 weight and it's a great stick as well.

9. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

I just use a thin coat of fly head cement on the back to hold it in place temporarily.