First rod...

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Jake Smulkowski, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Jake Smulkowski Throwing hoppers into baetis falls

Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I've decided on the Rainshadow 7+ on the advice of many, the relative shortness of my budget, and one experience casting one of these rods -beautiful! I've picked out a number of the Forecast components, and the ones I've selected seem pretty nice - TiCh gold colored rings when applicable, everything else matching...

I'm still wavering on the reel seat. I have to admit, I'm pretty particular, and having grown up within spitting distance of the Sound, I really want a madrone (we always called it "madrona") burl (or at least otherwise fancy and purty) insert. Does anyone have a recommendation of where to find a nice one? I could make one myself, and that might be really rewarding, but I really don't want to invest that time into it. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jake
  2. willieboat Member

Lacey, WA
    Jake,
    I don't know if you've built rods before. Making your own reel seat seems like an interesting project, but man they have some great looking ones already. (Okay, I know that the same can be said for rods also.) If this is going to be the first rod that you build, take a look at the seats in the www.anglersworkshop catalog. That way, you can concentrate on the wrapping, guide spacing, spine, handle and seat placement.
    Does 7+ mean the length or the weight? Consider adding a small fighting but if you intend using it on Sound beaches.

Don
  3. Jake Smulkowski Throwing hoppers into baetis falls

Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Thx for the link, Don. 7+ refers to the graphite - I guess they call it their RX7+ blank. I am planning on a 9' 8wt for b-run steelhead on the clearwater, i also would like to use the rod for the occasional trip back to the ancestral homelands of Steamboat Island and Tolmie Cove!
  4. Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

Bremerton, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Jake, good choice on the Rainshadow. I just completed a 10' 9wt 2pc last week. Love the way it casts. Built as a saltwater/backup salmon/bass rod, it was an inexpensive factory second w/cosmetic blems. The blank was not completely shiny, had a couple of dull spots on it from shipment. I'm lucky enough to live just an hour away from Batson Enterprises in Sequim, WA. I don't know where you would find a ready made madrona burl reel seat though. I would think you'd have to manufacture that yourself. Could be done easy if you had access to a lathe/unimat mill, if you wanted to inlet the seat for the reel. Maybe another choice for a ready made seat would be a birdseye maple? Mick Batson sells a good selection of components through Utmost Enterprises/Fisherman's Outlet.
    http://www.utmostenterprises.com (360)681-8748
  5. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    Heh Jake I don't have my book here right this minute, but take a look at Struble if you haven't already. I do believe they have this insert.

Another company you can look at would be Bellinger...

:cool:
  6. VancouverFisher Lucky if I get out anymore!

Vancouver, WA
    I just read about your interest in a madrone reel seat. All I can say is, visit the site below and call Les. This guy will bend over backwards to get you what you want and it won't cost you an arm and a leg.

http://www.insertbyles.com
  7. Aaron Banks Member

Spokane, WA
    Check REC they have really good looking stuff, a little more price but great quality.

http://www.rec.com/

aaron