First spun hair frog

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by sixfinger, Feb 12, 2006.

1. I just learned how to spin hair properly and stack it. Here's my first creation!

Attached Files:

2. That looks great, did you add some red with a marker, or is that just stacked red hair in the middle to?

3. Thanks! Its red hair stacked in the middle.

4. That's very nice; when I tied my first few, my biggest challenge was ensuring that the hair was packed densely and evenly enough, but yours looks great. You may want to add eyes to it. Snip out a pair of small depressions in the appropriate paces, place a dab of Goop on the back of Spirit River or doll eyes (I'm not a big fan of googly eyes), press them into the depressions, and wait for them to dry. That's a bass catcher for sure. Of course, it isn't far off, as tied, to be similar to a steelhead bomber either - no eyes required.

I do have a few questions. First, why did you put in a trailing/stinger hook? What do you think are the advantages of this style for this fly? Second, is there anything supporting the marabou legs? Otherwise, it seems that they might tend to simply collapse to the rear of the fly when it gets wet.

Thanks,

Steve

5. There are two reasons for the trailing hook. I didnt have a hook with a long enough shank, and When in the water the hook point will point up, Like most pass hooks do. Ive heard this is better for hooking bass.

The marabou is knotted in the middle. Yes it will colapse toward the back like a frogs legs do at the end of the stroke. I was hoping for a swimming look. I've seen legs made with knotted dear hair but didnt think that would have any action.

6. You'll have to let us know how well the stinger hook works this spring. I do like the thought that you can orient the hook so that it rides up - making it largely weedless. I would be a bit concerned that the marabou legs would get wrapped around it after several false casts.

Other options for the legs. You could knot a tip of marabou to deer-hair. That would give the action at the tips, but prevent the legs from collapsing completely. Another thought would be to use monofilament as a support coming off the body; let a marabou tip extend beyond the support. By choosing monofilament of different stiffnesses, you would find a balance between support and flexibility.

The traditional, cheap solution is to use rubber legs, either purchased explicitely for this purpose or swiped from the skirts of bass spinners. You use a knitting needle with a wide eye to threat them through the body, often after toughening the body up with some head cement. These are typically added after the hair has been trimmed; all too often it seems that little extras like legs or tails or whatever suffer an accidental cut while trimming. Then you're in fix-it mode.

Steve

7. Nice job on the hair stacking and trimming. You might want consider a job as a barber.

I am sure it will attract the interest of bass just as it is but if you want to keep working on the legs for a more realistic action consider the structure of a frogs leg. Basically two long stiff sections, with a hinge between them, plus feet. Deer/elk/etc. may be just the thing for the long sections with marabou for feet.

TC

8. thanks for the suggestions

9. That is very nice. You've definately got the hang of it. I can't tell how dense it is, but like has been said, I like to make sure mine is plenty dense. If I think I've got enough hair in it, I add more. It of course helps it float, and it helps the fly maintain it's shape and appearance.

Lookin' good!

Jeff