First steelhead on a fly

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Merch, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Merch

Merch New Member

In the early nineties I spent two or three days a week steelheading on the Snake and Grande Ronde while attending WSU. Needless to say I probably learned more about the river than my courses.

Back then my friend and I were mostly pitching spoons and spinners. We hadn't figured out steel head on a fly yet, we had spent a lot of time fly fishing for trout just not steelhead. We did get pretty good usually catching fish and had many multiple fish days. I haven't been back since then but, my friend has been going back almost every year and has figured out the fly angle.

Friday was the first day I had been back there since 92.

We fished all day swinging flys starting on the Snake where my friend caught a small jack. Next we moved to the Ronde but the water was around 42 degrees and we didn't feel like going with sink tips and nymphs so we moved back to the Snake which was considerably warmer at 52-53 degrees.

At the end of the day we still had not had any strikes since the small jack caught on the first run. We decided to fish the first run again. Three quarters of the way down the run...POW. A beautiful buck slammed my fly. The battle was on! After about ten minutes my friend tailed about a 15lb wild steelhead. I had done it, landed my first steelhead on a fly. My friend told me that my life, no actually, my wife's life, would be ruined from here on out. I think he is right.

Unfortunately, while trying to get out of the house early we forgot our camera, not a big surprise for us. We figured if we had remembered the camera we would never have caught the fish.

I have caught plenty of large salmon on mooch gear but this was ELECTRIC and I can't wait for the feeling again!

Merch

2. SteelieD

SteelieD Non Member

Media:
    cool, very cool.:beer2:

3. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
    Congradulations on your first steelhead on a fly. :thumb:
    B.

4. Manannan Mac Lir

Manannan Mac Lir Professional enabler

It always seems to be that last run of the day. That "aw what the hell let's give it another swing" run that gives us the inspiration to keep on swingin'. Good for you brother. Nicely done.

5. Peabody55

Peabody55 New Member

I understand what you mean, I was out in Washington the first week of Oct. with a good friend who lives there. He took me out on the Cascade river and I hooked into a steelhead about 22". What a fight on a nice old 9' Heddon Blue Waters. It was the first time fishing for salmon, but I won't let it be the last for sure!

6. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Nice Story Merch!! The story is better than the photo! Thanks...

7. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    great work man

8. greyghost

greyghost Member

Media:
    Yup, you're screwed now! Congrats!

9. Merch

Merch New Member

greyghost, no kidding, I can't stop thinking about it or perhaps it is obsessing. Its a fine line.

Merch

10. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    Congratulations! I remember the feeling of my first steelhead and I was walking on air for about a week. Good things come to those who wait.

11. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Home Page:
    Congrats, Welcome to steelhead hell. But its a good thing.