First Steelhead on Spey

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by DLoop, Jan 2, 2004.

1. ChrisC

ChrisC Member

SUPER DLOOP!

This should go without saying but being a relative newcomer,I have found the most posts on the most rivers from Jim. Few have been as generous as Jim in describing secondary waters and it is something we should all thank him for.

2. FISHFACE

FISHFACE New Member

:thumb To quote a phrase from my Canadian friends
    "SHE'S A BUEATY EH"
    :beer2 :beer2 :beer2
    I have been :beathead for not getting out this year.
    This comming week for sure.
    Hope all you FLY SWINGERS have as good luck as DLoop.

3. flyfisherman551

flyfisherman551 New Member

tim nice fish Dloop, good job.my experiences of over thirty years flyfishing for steelhead have left me humbled at times and amazedat other times. while some flies do react different to river flows and water color I believe if you get in front of him and he's in the mood he'll take it or chase it no matter what the color or dressing. I think it has more to do with presention but number one is the fish has to be in a taking mode.I have cast to holding steelhead for a hour changing flies from dries to what ever and then sit down and rested the hole and tied on the first fly I had on since its my favorite and what I have the most confidence in and first cast through get a hook up and more than once took more fish at the same hole then minutes later can't buy a fish although you can still see fish holding. I'm no expert just my 2cents, I just enjoy the pursuit. type of fly doesn't matter much just get it in front of him and hang on the rest is up to him.

4. Porter

Porter Active Member

:beer2 :beathead :beathead

Sweet.....on a St. Croix better yet

5. flasher

flasher New Member

The only thing I've learned from Oldman is how to better hide my doughnuts:9

That said I'm looking for someone to fish with on Monday. Any takers? Hey Oldman I will bring an egg mcmuffin for you;)

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Where,I'm not about to play twenty questions with a skinny guy like you. Name a place and I'll see if I can make it or I can name a place and see if you can find it.

Jim

7. wet line

wet line New Member

SUPER DLOOP!

Jim, I wish I would have seen this before BK got the boot. I think he got you mixed up with me on the World
    Angler thing. And just for the record that is something that Ryan and I got worked out between us before he left and I am sure there are no hard feeling between Ryan and myself.

On another level, english is a language rich with adjectives. Vulgarity should never be needed to express any displeasure! As I was told when growing up and going through the teen age potty mouth stage, language filled with vulgar statements is a reflection on the lack of education of the person being vulgar!

Dave

8. flasher

flasher New Member

Well general I'm oncall so I'm planning on the local waters. My favorite:) Haven't been out in almost 2 months don't know if I can find my Fly. BTW I aint doing the first light thing so if 9am is too late I'll eat the mcsliders myself:) Let me know.

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Well being that it is just a little cold out there and some of the roads that I take to get to the Snouqalmie are not in very good shape for driving right now. I decided to hold off until the temp gets above freezing. Right now in Marysville it is a chilly 16 degrees but the sun is shining brightly. Sorry but I won't be around for to see you catch your first steelhead.

Sorry once again.

Jim

10. East Fork

East Fork Guest

Nice picture! Congrats.

11. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    HOLY MOLY!!!

That was crazy!! Where he got his info from on Old Man being tight lipped is beyond me?? Hey Jim, can I have your Gazetter?? I will buy you a new one to replace it ;) :thumb ?

~Patrick ><>

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    HOLY MOLY!!!

Sorry it's not in my Gazetteer it's in my head. Do you want my brain when I die. Most of what I have in there is my local rivers and a few over on the dry side.

Jim

13. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    HOLY MOLY!!!

Could you write me a book, that would be even better! I bet you could make a fortune if you wrote a book about fishing over on your side of the state...just a thought??

~Patrick ><>

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    HOLY MOLY!!!

If we ever meet again,just bring your map and I will fill it with X's.

Jim

15. Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice Senior Member

Media:
    Great picture I hope you don't mind me using it as my background on my computer at work !
    Steve