First Steelhead on the fly

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by John Bisset, Mar 8, 2010.

1. John Bisset retired to fish

edmonds
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Wednesday, caught my first steelhead on the fly; a size 16 glo-bug. The first was a big wild buck, about 16 lbs from East of the mountains. 3 more followed the first. I guess I'm hooked now, and will probably have to invest in a switch or spey rod. Any suggestions on which to start out on? I have a suspicion that the spey rod may be easier to learn on, but not have unlimited funds, I don't want to buy the spey then later decide I need the switch rod.
  2. bhudda heffe'

basement
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    nice fish and congrats, got pics of the 16lb'er ?
  3. orangeradish Bobo approved

Capital City
    Ratings: +484 / 0
    Congrats on the fish. It's a nice one. I just got my 1st 2hander. On the recommendation of the local shop owner, I got an Echo TR 14' 9wt. I have tinkered with a few spey rods before, so my experience is pretty limited. However, I found it to be pretty forgiving on a noob. It's pretty nice to cast, and the timing doesn't have to be surgical for a ham fisted caster like me with a compact skagit head. It's $350 and has a lifetime warranty. I am new to the spey thing, so again, take this with a grain of salt. Good luck, and nice job on the sweet fish.
    Jason
    edit-Also look at going to Aaron Reimer's day on the river in Fall City on Saturday. He knows his shit and has rods to test drive.
  4. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,620 / 2
    if you have a single hander, get a spey. you'll have the best of both worlds. i'm not a believer in the switch rod personally
  5. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,356 / 9
    Nice report. Seems like you're catching fish, not sure what has you convince you need a different rod. I would not change a thing if I caught four steelhead in one trip.
  6. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,620 / 2
    Mumbles brings an excellent point. I own two rods: single hand 6wt, single hand 8wt... Hasn't stopped me from catching fish... Though I still lust after one day owning a spey once again
  7. SteelieD Non Member

In a van down by the river
    Exactly what I was gonna say.

Nice fish.
  8. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    Congrats on your first four fish! Sheesh! My first four were spread out MUCH further apart. I'm actually still hoping for a TWO fish day. I've come close but it hasn't happened yet.

Two handed rods aren't really that cool anyway, you'd probably be better off without one. Besides they will be out of fashion shortly just like it all comes and goes. And like everyone one else said, if you can catch four fish in a day you are doing everything right and don't need anything more. That being said, I'm addicted to my 2handers.:)
  9. Citori Piscatorial Engineer

Federal Way, WA
    Ratings: +116 / 0
    You're toast. There's no turning back now, you're hooked forever. It don't matter what you have in your hand, you will just keep coming back after 'em.

You poor bastard, you're one of us now.
  10. Mark Speer It's all good.....

Clarkston,WA

Well said!

Picked up a 2hander from Poppy 7 years ago and haven't looked back since! I do have a switcher that is perfect for smaller rivers and gives you a taste of spey with the ability to go back to the single hand style if needed! See if you can find a shop in your area that will let you test drive either one! That said give Poppy a call at the RedShed, he can and is always willing to help an addict out! Best of luck! and to quote Citori again " you poor bastard"!
  11. Michael Nelson Old And In The Way

San Francisco, CA, USA
    Congratulations, and thanks for keeping those fish in the water for the photos!
  12. robbbos east coast transplant

Seattle, WA
    Congrats! Those are beautiful fish.
  13. DocDoc Member

Walla Walla, WA, United States.
    Get to a morning on the river in your area. Aaron (River Run Angler) has one on Saturday at Fall City and Mike Kinney is at Ben Howard on Sunday morning. You can get some help with casting and a chance to try out some rod and line combinations.
  14. Chris Bentsen Member

Sammamish, wa, USA.
    Ratings: +17 / 0
    Jb
    Nice job. Glad you had a great trip. Pretty impressive for your first time. Don't expect all your trips to turn out the same.
    You will certainly get skunked, which makes multiple steelhead days very special.
    Chris
  15. rwbailey05 GO COUGS

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    Caught my first Steele this year on the Ronde, and then the rest of my semester was spent driving to the river whenever i could! Congrats, and a double... no a triple on the first outing! Seriously your screwed in the best way possible :)
  16. John Bisset retired to fish

edmonds
    They weren't all in one day. I was there 3 days and got skunked one. I did put my time in on the Sky this winter with nary a fish.

Thanks for the thoughts on rods. I'll definitely do a Sunday at Ben Howard before I make any rash decisions.

jb