First Time Fly Tying

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by sweetlou, Jan 5, 2013.

1. sweetlou

sweetlou Member

What would be the best fly to tie for the first time beginner? I need to show some scouts and I am not the greatest at it myself.

2. GAT

GAT Active Member

Woolly Worm is what we always started with when our group taught a beginning class.

Phil Fravel likes this.
  3. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Cary special was one of the first ones I was taught. Only two materials, pheasant rump hackle and chenille are, and can be adapted to different colors (chenille) to fish for everything from small trout streams, lakes, warmwater fish to Steelhead. It's primarily considered a stillwater pattern I believe.

**I surfed the web and noticed many versions of this fly are WAY more complicated than I imagined. Here is my approximate dressing...

Hook = Nymph or streamer hook in the size you want. Larger (8-10) is better for beginning tiers and should work to imitate many common aquatic things. And a good general attaractor pattern.

Tail = Few fibers (or the tip) of a Ringneck pheasant hackle (webby hackle from the top of the rump area in front of the tail feathers or along the back).

Body = medium or fine chenille (sized to fly and how big a body you want)

Rib = none

Hackle = Ringneck Pheasant hackle (same as above) tied in tip first and wound to form the collar.

For hackle, any webby material (Schlappen, "saltwater" hackles, plain old rooster tail) will work fine. You can also weight them with lead wire under the chenille (great for lakes, or for fishing under a float on a spinning rod). You can add and substitute to your hearts desire without really changing the pattern. And it's a great one.

4. sweetlou

sweetlou Member

Do you or anyone else have a picture of one?

5. David Dalan

I'll whip one up, and do a little Step-by-Step. I'll post it today, will that be in time?

6. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

7. David Dalan

8. dfl

dfl Active Member

A size 16 Griffiths gnat is a good starter demo fly. It uses peacock herl wrapped on the hook shank with grizzly hackle palmered over it. Easy to tie, impressive, and extremely effective on the water.

9. sweetlou

sweetlou Member

Thank you much

10. David Dalan

Anytime! Have fun with the scouts!