First time on the salt.

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Kcahill, May 2, 2011.

1. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

For my birthday I received a guided trip for SRC's, something I had wanted to do but was kind of intimidated by the amount of water out there. The guide for the trip was Lucas from Emerald Water Anglers.

We met at 5am and headed for the beaches, as the sun was coming up we were starting to wade out. As I was setting up for my first cast we saw a fish jump. I attempted to reach it and just didn't have the distance to get there :hmmm:

After about 4 tries Lucas backed me up and we worked on my casting until it was looking better. While he was showing me some techniques he hooked a fish and brought it to hand. As the tide went slack we headed for the second beach.

The second beach was pretty slow but I got to work on casting more and was starting to feel good a bout my chances.

The third beach I finally hooked my first SRC, by that time my wrist was killing me(old injury) and we headed out. On the way back to my truck we stopped at some crowded beaches and just looked and talked about them to make sure I understood where to fish.

All in all a pretty good day, my casting got way better and I got to hook a fish and miss a bunch of others. Watching those trout come completely out of the water after bait is a sight to see.

If you are looking to get into SRC fishing but just haven't done it give these guys a call, Lucas was one of the most patient teachers I have ever had and worked hard to make sure I got a fish by the end of the day. I am sure it was not easy for him to work with me on my casting while there were fish jumping around us. He made sure I knew what to look for so I could fish these and new beaches by myself.

tl;dr Great first day on the beach with a guide I will fish with again.

2. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Media:
    Sounds like you had a great day! I can't wait to get out there for them ( I have a beach about 15 mins away, but never seem to find the time...) and to hopefully have as good a day as it sounded like you had.

Cheers!