First Time On The Water This Year

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Shawn West, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Shawn West Active Member

Vancouver,Washington
    Ratings: +117 / 0
    Six months plus is much too long to go without wetting a line. The weather has been starting to look and feel a little more like spring. I decided to head towards Stevenson and give Ashes Lake a try. I got on the water around 11:30. The first thing I did was check the water temperature. I was surprised to see that the water was forty-nine degrees. While kicking towards highway 14, I attached a Polar Fibre Clouser. I started at the east end of the lake and worked my way west. The first half hour or so was pretty much casting practice. The fish were either not there, or just not interested in what I had to offer. I was using a type 6 full sinking line. I was casting to the shoreline and retrieving towards deeper water. I got a hit, and the fight was on. This was a very nice fish. I was expecting a wet rag, but this fish had plenty of energy and fight. I got her to the net. She weighed an impressive three and a half pounds. That is a great way to start a new fishing season. I fished the entire highway 14 side of the lake without another strike.

I decided to fish my way back to the truck. I removed the Clouser and attached a red sided shiner. I managed to get one more strike. It ended up being a fourteen inch smallie. Before getting off the water, I check the temperature one more time. The thermometer read fifty two degrees.

I went to the lake expecting colder water and no action. The fishing was not great by any standards, but I am definitely glad I got out. Both fish I caught were feisty. I can not wait to get out again. The fishing is only going to improve as the water begins to warm.

Shawn
  2. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,069 / 0
    Tyer, Be sure to go up and check out Rowland Lakes after the opener. The lake on the north side of the hiway will be a zoo but hardly anyone fishes the south lake because it isn't stocked. Depending on the year crappie can get in there in huge numbers and it has a decent bluegill population as well. But the really fun part is that it gets some downstream migration of chinook smolts this time of year that really jazz up the crappie fishing. These "smolts" have always been in the 15"-18' range and are super powerful for their size. I have caught and released up to a dozen of these taken on both crappie jigs and buggers on a sinking line. Have fun.

Ive
  3. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +262 / 2
    Sounds like a good first day, I also headed out on Saturday to a local lake because of the nice weather. Temp was 58 on the surface but the fish didnt seem to want to play. Right before the end of the day I had a rod jarring strike on a black bunny leach but didnt get the hook up.

Nice to see some reports in the warm water forum!
  4. Shawn West Active Member

Vancouver,Washington
    58 degrees? I am surprised the bass were not a lot more active. Good luck on your next time out.

Shawn
  5. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    That is what I thought also, I talked to some guys with spinning gear and they were having no luck either.

It may of been because the lake was stocked last week and there was a free for all going on at the stocking location. The powerbait guys were pulling out lots of stockers, maybe the bass were over there getting in on the action also?

I am not really sure how a stocking effects the feeding cycle.

KC
  6. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    Tried again this afternoon, went to the side of the lake where they stock. Started throwing a purple\black zonker at the docks and into the reeds\flats. Picked up 2 rainbows, one of which was pretty big and fought like hell, but no Bass seen. I bet they are over there feeding like everything else, I will tie up some 2-3" rainbow imitations and give that a shot tomorrow if the weather holds.
  7. Shawn West Active Member

Vancouver,Washington
    KC

If there are boulders and pebble rock areas in the water you are fishing, I would probably focus my efforts there. I think you are on to something when you talk about tying up some rainbow imitations. That is pure protien for the bass. The bigger females may be on the beds right now. If you can find a nest, place a fly on the nest and give it a little action. The bass should pick it up after a while to move it. That is when you set the hook. Keep us posted on how things work out for you tomorrow if you decide to go. Good luck!!!

Shawn
  8. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    It is raining pretty good here but I will probably still try to make it out today since a BIRTHDAY bass would be a good omen for the year. I didnt get to tie up anything last night since I had to go out to dinner but will work on it tonight. The lake I fish is kind of funny, its mostly muddy bottom and where it is rock there are a large number of downed trees which make it incredibly difficult to get a fly into the nesting area.

I fish pretty much everyday I am not traveling so I can post up a lot of reports if this forum is going to be more active this year.

KC
  9. Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Auburn,Wa.
    Ratings: +140 / 0
    Rough fishing this week on my lakes. Nothing today and no fish seen. All the beds are still dirty !! It's a ways off !!
  10. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    I was out there all day also tossing leech patterns into fishy looking places where I figured they might be pre spawning, no luck. I picked up 3 or 4 little stocker rainbow, 1 big rainbow, and a monster yellow perch, but no Bass. Surface was 59F, light wind ripple, blue and purple bugger got everything except the bass excited.
  11. Shawn West Active Member

Vancouver,Washington
    With the weather being so nice, I made another trip to Ashes Lake. The water temperature was at 53 degrees. I fished for almost five hours and managed to catch 1 smallie. It took me about 3 1/2 hours to catch that one. I was starting to wonder if I was going to get skunked. I probably will not make it out again for a couple of weeks. I caught that fish on a size 6 Clouser.

Shawn
  12. Randall Clark Active Member

Orygun
    Ratings: +185 / 0
    I made it out as well over the weekend, fished the OR side at several spots that always have produced for me. nada...I think it's still a little early...but soon, very soon.

Carp are out and about as are panfish...forgot the thermometer so no temp.
  13. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    Allright, finally got one today. I had about an hour after work to fish before I had to get dinner ready and headed out just knowing they had to be moved up after the last 2 days. I picked her up in about 6' of water on a red zonker, she was only about 14" but looked like she had swallowed a softball.