First time out with kayak

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Jerry Daschofsky, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Went out to Munn Lake with PHWFF yesterday. Had a great time. But first time I've been in a kayak like this. Was only smaller Whitewater kayaks. So have some work to do.

Had A good time. But boat was tipsy. Have been used to drift boats and pontoons is my problem. Took about 20 minutes and it was like I've been using it for years. The work in question is just some changes for me and definitely adding the stabilizers. But overall was a good day May still look into a sit on top. But for now she's working good.

Waiting to see if I get some decent shots of me. For now you get my cockpit shot.

0202131119.jpg

Patrick Gould likes this.
  2. no pics of lunch??

3. Too busy cooking it while you huddled around my stove for heat. ;)

4. What the heck kind of report is this? No fish? No food? No faces? All we get is your man sandal feet in you kayak cockpit? Sheesh!

5. LOL. I'm a loser, what can I say? ;)

6. Ed: he obviously needs a kayaking mentor.

7. Geeze! Is that a bobber I detect in the background, out near the end of your line?:D I'll pretend to not see that, now that I also notice the Fenwick glass rod in your rod holder. (Looks just like mine).
    Due to the angle, I couldn't see the reel in the photo at first, and thought maybe you'd bastardized the rod into a Tenkara setup.:eek: Then I noticed the barely discernible edge of the reel. Whew!
    I'm going to have to fish Munn one of these days.

8. So Jerry...did the bobber go down? Did you catch any fish? Looks kind of chilly for sandlals.

9. No that's my old Fenwick/pflueger set up. No bobbers. That was a stimulator with a choronomid under it. Had a few hits, no takers. But I was there doing three cooking anyways.

10. BTW I'm a UPS driver who wears shorts all year around. I don't get cold.

11. You'd be cold on this side of the state...and you'd need an ice-breaker kayak!

12. You'd be surprised. Still wore shorts when we were I in the single digits and parts of the bay were freezing up. Even when I traveled a lot to Minnesota during the winter. Write a light jacket and light pants only to avoid frostbite from the wind. Lol

Krusty likes this.
  13. Well...yer a tougher man than I am, Gunga Din!

Jerry Daschofsky likes this.
  14. LOL, I was thinking the same. If you had fun, it's all that matters.

Time to get my pram gramps gave to me years ago fixed up so I can take it out more often.

15. I'm slowly softening up. I can't surf dig for razor clams in the winter in just my shorts any more.

16. Those two metal brackets you see by the net are for stabilizers. I'm probably going to buy a set here shortly. Have some demos to do at Cabelas in March, so with the gift cards I get from them, will just get the same set the previous owner had. And I watched him, he was able to do do alot with the boat with those stabilizers.

17. Good idea, Jerry. Get the same ones that fit your brackets. No need to change what already works well.