First Time

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Scott Behn, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    Well I finally took the plunge and went out yesterday morning to try my hand at the "two-handed side of things". I must say...WOW...now if I can just figure out some of the casts then I might have something going.
    For the most part I wanted to get my feet wet with this thing so pretty much all I did was roll cast the big stick, I was able to roll out all the blue line doing this.
    Although I don't have anything or any experience for comparing, but thanks Ron I like this Hardy line with the 14' Rainshadow.

:cool:

2. bigtj

bigtj Member

Media:
    Scott,

Thanks a lot for sharing your story. I bet it was an absolute blast. Congratulations on your first step!

Piece of advice - call up Sage or a local fly shop and see if they are doing any spey clinics in your area any time soon. I used to do these clinics about 5 years ago, they were 4-hour clinics that cost about $60 and taught the basics of live-line spey casting including the forward spey (necessary for line pick up), circle-spey, snap-T, double spey (river right) and single spey (river left). You can learn in 4 hours what you might not be able to pick up in a couple years on your own watching videos etc plus once you see the casting in action you'll be better able to understand what the books and videos are saying.

Or, alternatively, try to hook up with some guys that know how to spey that can teach you for free. The point is once you start making a real D loop and learn how to plant an anchor point and cast with a true live-line spey cast (not a static roll cast) the casting is going to BLOW YOUR MIND.

Good luck with your adventure,

-John

3. Luv2flyfish

Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

Ah yes, it sure is fun.

I'll second the advice on finding some casting instruction. I would strongly recomend looking into some of our guides and casting instructors. If you start off with out getting the ever so important fundamentals from the folks that know what they are talking about (not just trying to sell you 1500 bucks worth of gear) your learning curve will be slow, tedious, and at times just frustrating. Check out Steve Buckner (northwestflyfisherman.com). He'd be my first choice for a casting clinic. He does a really good job (and he's a very fine caster). Good Luck.

4. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    Scott,

Welcome to the dark side! I've been spey casting for about 3 years and absolutely love it!

Since you're not really to far from Carnation, don't forget the River Run Anglers Saturday mornings on the river with Aaron. Free instruction and the opportunity to try out a ton of different setup's.

There are also many spey claves to check out as well, so try and get to one of those.

Enjoy!
    Bill

5. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris New Member

iagree

I definitely agree with Flybill. Come down to Carnation at the Tolt/Snoqualmie confluence and try several rod and line combinations. Not only do you have Aaron Reimer to instruct you but you also have Mike Kinney and Brian Styskal. All of these guys are accomplished casters and are excellent teachers. Here is Aaron's URL: http://www.speyshop.com/. It starts every Saturday at 9:00 AM.

Have fun with your new obession,

Kevin

6. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    Yeah I know, but I'm always working on Sat. so I never get a chance to go down there. Greg(boss man) has me signed up to attend a shing-dig with the Sage folks on the 26th so I'll listen attentively. Not only that, but also play with some of their outfits as well and have a lunch...

7. Warren Perry

Warren Perry Grizzly 6

Media:
    I agree,

I fished with Steve last week on the OP and it was only my 3rd time out with a 2 hander. The first two experiences were much like your first.

Steve had me casting double and C speys in about 30 minutes and as the day progressed I was working on the Perry Poke and snake roll.

If you want to shorten yoiur learning curve, get a lesson from Steve

Warren

8. South Sound

South Sound Member

I also broke through this last weekend on the Sauk and Skagit. It did not seem as hard as everyone said. I guess I have been spey casting for quite some time, just with a one handed rod. I also have the Rainshadow 9/10 14ft. It seemed to cast very well, however I have not cast anything else. I do know that the other Rainshadows I have, have enough backbone to send the line out with authority.

I am hooked on Spey for steelhead.

9. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    Josh what line are you using?

10. South Sound

South Sound Member

Airflo Multi-tip from Cabelas.
    I think I would go one size up.
    Rainshadows seem to load better with one size up (at least for their regular rods) I also had Wayne cast the spey rod and he said it would be better with an increase in line wt.

11. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    I would have to third the recommendation of Steve Buckner. I myself have never used a two hander until my O.P. trip with him. He had me working the spey rod in a matter of an hour. I was feeling pretty good. Now I have to get out and buy a custom sage spey rod and baur reel like Steve.

12. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    Man, I attended the Sage Dealers thingy yesterday and learned quite alot of different casts and different folks. One thing that George Cook kept telling me was "kiss n go"...it's still ringing in my head!!!!!
    I got to play with all sorts of rods and different lines, the one I liked the best from the lot was a VT2 7130. Man that's a sweet little stick.

13. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

The next thread after yours is about Kaufmann's 'spey days.' Ring them up and see if it's a go; usually held in March. If not the suggestion about visiting Aaron's shop is 'right on.'