First Trip of the Year

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by GAT, Mar 15, 2014.

1. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Barring an apocalyptic episode, in a few hours, John, Jay and I will be headed to Olalla Lake near Newport, Oregon.

I hope I remembered everything. Normally I forget something during the first fishing trip of the year...
    especially when it comes to stillwater.

They've planted the lake twice within the last few weeks so in theory, there should be some fish in the lake. Most likely, they will be holding deep. I thought about taking my fish/depth finder but I fish the lake so often, I know where the trout are usually located and this time of year, they are always hugging the bottom.

I don't need the fish/depth finder to let me know there are fish in the lake and I'm not catching them.

I've tried to lighten the SuperCat so it won't be as difficult to lug the sucker down the long boat ramp and back up again. My asthma is getting worse and I gained weight over the winter so I'm not looking forward to the lugging. I suppose we could try backing down the boat launch and drop off the tubes instead of carrying the suckers up and down the ramp but I have a hell of a time looking out the back of the ol' F150 with the canopy.

Besides, lots of folks use the ramp and they have little tolerance for an old fool that has problems backing down a long and curving ramp. This is the primary reason I don't have a boat with a trailer.
    I can't back down a long ramp worth crap without a trailer so adding a boat on a trailer would be a disaster.

So lugging it is.

I could probably get away with taking just one box of flies but I have all these experimental flies I want to try and maybe the trout are taking some weirdass pattern so I need to cover my bases.

(chances are, I'll end up using the same flies I always use but you never know)

If I don't catch fish today... no, it won't be fine "just to get out". One thing is for sure, the water will be cold and I will freeze my ass off... not that there's much left to freeze off...

Report to follow... maybe.

Mark Mercer and Mark Kulikov like this.
  2. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    Good luck Gene, this sounds all too familiar... I'm sure you'll have a great time and your Mojo will get you into lots of fish ...
    How about a small wheel, for the cat ? I know they're pretty light but might help for those long hauls....

Mark

3. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

The SuperCat was designed for backpacking (shoulder straps are built in) so it isn't all that large or heavy (when empty)... for a guy who isn't overweight with asthma, it's easy to carry around. I'll deal with it. I have my enhaler so I shouldn't die... however, if you never see another post from me again... you'll know the boat launch killed me :)

triploidjunkie and McNasty like this.
  4. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

I hope you do well Gene. We have open water over here now....fishin the Owyhee tomorrow along with everyone from Boise.

5. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

The good news is that I wasn't skunked as was John and Jay. The bad news is I only caught two smallish planters. However, they both took a different experimental olive leech pattern so maybe the new patterns work... or not.

The bad news is the weather forecast was wrong. The temps never warmed up and it started raining on us so we bailed out. The spin guys on the lake were not catching hardly anything either so it flat just wasn't a good day.

I should have taken a photo of breakfast because it was pretty good and the highlight.

Now, I could have gone the way of the indicator and midge emerger and probably would have caught a lot more trout. Buuuuutttttt.... there is a reason we fish Olalla this early in the year and it isn't so much for the planted trout. The ODF&W dump excess adult hatchery steelhead in the lake and about now, they are still quite bright.

Steelhead do not usually take midge emergers. They do, however... and I speak from experience... take leech patterns. I've caught many steelhead with trout gear at Olalla and it is a blast! You can imagine what it's like to hook a steelhead with a trout rod while fishing from a small pontoon boat.

That is the primary reason I prefer using leech and WB patterns this time of year.

Jay saw a couple of steelhead finning around and he said they were bright as chrome.

But they, nor the trout, wanted to play the game.

There's always next time. We'll be back... the steelhead will remain bright for quite some time.

(the trek down and up the launch wasn't as bad as I thought it would be)

Jeff Dodd, triploidjunkie and McNasty like this.
  6. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    The weather man was way off here too. We would have stayed closer to home today if I knew how wrong he was going to be.

7. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    I hope the fishing lasted longer than the drive. In any case two fish are better than a skunking.

8. TD

TD Active Member

That makes my imagination run wild.

9. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Yes, it did. But the rain cut it all short.

I've caught a goodly number of steelhead in that lake... and normally, it's while fishing for the trout. It's quite a surprise when a steelhead takes the pattern and jumps four feet out of the water! Then, you're on for a battle. In some case I fin to shore to land the fish.

10. Porter

Porter Active Member

Stop and have a hot sandwich and yellow snow ipa at the rogue brewery? Yum!

11. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

I can't believe that the weather man was incorrect.

But then again, you are a fisherperson, so can we believe you?

Two fish you say? :)