Fish Cat Cougar

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Mark Kulikov, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Mark Kulikov

Mark Kulikov Active Member

I just read an article on the fish cat cougar with the quad pontoon. The article claims that the quad design permits heavier load capacities and better tracking that the standard twin toon. Does anybody have experience with this particular craft, or fish cat toons in general? Advertising is one thing, real world functionality is another. Opinions appreciated. that you.

2. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

If it's the one I think it is, it's two smaller pontoons on each side. Apparently, the idea is to have a lower profile therefore less wind resistance. So it may be OK as a still water craft. I think I would prefer larger tubes for moving water.

3. Tony Kraft

Tony Kraft der Fliegenfischer

Mark,
    I have the Cougar and enjoy it very much on Stillwater thus far. Its low profile and ability to float in just three inches of water make it a capable craft in the local lakes. You move very quickly and reaching the water to kick around is easy as well. I have yet to take it out in the rivers but I can tell now that I will probably be wetter than most with its low profile design. If you do a search online for the Panther, you will find the 9' version for the same price as the 8' version right now. If you don't, PM me and I can tell you the name of store. PM me if you have any more questions on the Cougar.

Tony

4. interiorak

interiorak New Member

I've had a couger for three seasons now. It's great for lakes and wind is no problem ... quick whether kick or row. Stable enough to stand up in and double haul ! Also use it in local class I and II rivers during low water. Shallow draft over river bars is big time advantage over my friend's pontoons. I would get another one in a heart beat.

Use a Watermaster or Aire Puma in serious AK rivers for day tripping or week long wilderness floats. Just got a Outcast Trinity for backpacking. Have not used it yet ... but it sure is light !