Fish finder on asssult/watermaster

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by golfman44, Apr 29, 2014.

1. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    Looking into getting one. Nothing fancy just one that will mainly be used to measure depth. My flies tend to do the fish finding just fine.

Those of you with experience in this department let me know. I have a Scadden assault XX.

Appreciate it

2. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    I use a Fishin' Buddy on my Watermaster and FishCat both. They work fine for depth and fish...and not very spendy either...

golfman44 and GAT like this.
  3. Topstoy

Topstoy Member

I have the Fishin Buddy 120, not too bad for a portable unit. Sometimes I think it marks fish when they are not there but it is good on depth and temperature which is always handy. I love mine and would recommend it. I decided not to get the color version as it really isn't needed and I heard that it uses up the batteries faster. As far as battery life in the 120, I seem to get many outings in before I need to change batteries.

golfman44 likes this.
  4. uncagork

uncagork New Member

I bought a set-up from Float Tube Fanatics to mount a Lowrance X4. I can use it on my float tube, pontoon, or with the thru the hull magnets on a fiberglass or aluminum boat.

http://m.floattubefanatics.com

golfman44 likes this.
  5. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I also use a Fishin Buddy 120. It depends on how you set it up as to if you can trust the marking of fish. I used one long enough I can normally tell if it's a real fish the finder is marking or something else.

One sure fire way you can tell is if you're sitting stationary and the device is marking fish coming in and out of range below you ... chances are, those are fish.

Also, schools of fish are normally easy to detect because some will be holding at different depths.

Regardless, I don't rely on the finder as a fer-sure when it comes to marking fish but even if it is correct only 70% of the time, it still gives me an idea where and at what depth the fish are most likely holding.

Mapping the bottom of a lake it the biggest plus for using a fish/depth finder. You can't read stillwaters like you can rivers. The depth finder functions allows you to read a lake. When I fish new stillwaters, I always use the fish/depth finder to see the lay of the land when it comes to the bottom of the lake.

And... I have marked a fish and then a few seconds later hook up at exactly where the fish was marked. So while it may not be accurate 100% of the time... it's close enough.

golfman44 likes this.
  6. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

If you want to keep it simple and depth alone is the most important thing you need--Fishin' Buddy is the answer. Anything else will require a serious mount, involve cables, location of the transducer and of course placement of a battery. A simple holster for around $30 is all that is needed for a FB. Strap it on, drop in the Fishin' Buddy and turn it on, all that other stuff is built right into the unit.

I have used these for about 20 years on a tube or 'toon to tell whether I'm in 6' or 60' of water, they are perfect for that.

Ive

Topstoy, golfman44 and GAT like this.
  7. Ron Olsen

Ron Olsen Member

Great site and products! Solves a number of problems. I currently use a small plastic box (actually the box for a big bunch of deck screws, like to recycle) that holds Lowrance Mark 4. Base mounted to top, that clips open. Everything stores inside, and just resides in float tube/pontoon/frameless pontoon side bag so out of way for oars. Transducer on a strap. Battery is 10 X 1.2 volt 2.5 mAh Sanyo Eneloop in a small brick. Mark 4 draws up to 235 (gps), so will last constant operation over 10 hours. Really like that floatubefanatics transducer strap mount, will get one. Better than current pop revit solution. :)

Ronbow

8. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    Fishing buddy 120 sounds perfect thanks guys.

How are you all mounting it to your toons?

9. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

10. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Any Cabelas carries an adjustable strap on tube like a scabbard for a sword, slip the Buddy in and go fishin'...

11. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

Go to Humminbird web site order their holder fits around the big pontoon Cabelas model has a limit adjusment

12. ryfly

ryfly Addicted to flyfishing

I took an old plastic rod tube, cut it down to 9 inches long, ran a river cam strap through the cut down rod tube and when I get on the water I drop the Fishin Buddy down through the tube. Stays solidly and lets me turn it around so I can aim the directional sonar.

Cost was maybe $8.00