fish id help

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by triploidjunkie, Apr 22, 2013.

1. This was found in the okanogan river Saturday. Any clue as to wtf it is? Some people are guessing snakehead, but I hope not.

Attached Files:

2. looks like a catfish of some sort. From what's in the lower river I'd say bullhead or channel catfish.

3. One of the armored catfish??

Something from the aquarium trade that was dumped into the river; unlikely to survive in this area but such releases have been a problem in Florida.

Curt

4. definetly doesn't look like a snakehead. man thats weird, was it alive when found? almost looks like some prehistoric fossil or something.

5. I think Smalma is closer on the catfish ID than I am. Looks like an armored aquarium cat...big one.

6. Yuck...I thought snakehead when I first saw it but really don't know. Teeth?

Snakehead

[​IMG]

7. Holy shit an alien!

dryflylarry likes this.
  8. That's how I have it figured!

dryflylarry likes this.
  9. Ex-wife flashback.

10. Ratfish ????

11. "wtf"?? is that shorthand for "what the fish" it is? I'm still sticking with armored catfish as I think Smalma was correct.

McNasty likes this.
  12. I saw one just like it watching Men in Black II the other night!

13. Who said there ain't no Aliens? !!! Hell yeah!

14. I second the armored catfish. looks like it's missing it's outer layer (skin dessicated and got real thin?)

Hell of a thing to find on any river...creepy.

15. So from what I've read, an armored catfish is what is more commonly known as a"algae eater" in almost every aquarium ever?

16. Wow !! I'm an aquarium guy have not seen anything like that. Did you happen to see Sigourney Weaver walking around at the same time ?

17. What about this one? A talking catfish from the Amazon region?

Attached Files:

McNasty likes this.
  18. you're thinking of a plecostomus (sp?), and that's not one. it's definitely a catfish, definitely not a bullhead or channel cat, or any other north american cat i've ever seen or heard of. no way it's a snakehead.

19. has it said anything?

Jack Devlin likes this.
  20. think you just got it. though i have no idea what something like that would ever be doing in a river in washington.