Fish ID needed

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Heckster, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Heckster

Heckster Member

Last weekend I went hiking in the Methow valley and came across several feisty fish on a mountain creek. Several of the fish had the characteristic orange slash of cutthroats, however they had very few black spots (more numerous close to the tail) and several large red and dark blue spots. I have consulted Trout and Salmon of North America and haven't been able to find any entry describing cutthroats with this specific coloration. Are these some subspecies of cutthroat? Sorry for the shitty phone picture.

trout1.jpg

Interestingly they were sharing the same small pool with brook trout.

trout3.jpg

Thanks!

2. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy No mas

Cutthroat or maybe cutbow parr

Dan Nelson likes this.
  3. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Looks like a Westslope Cutt with that spot pattern that you mention and the olive-ish color it appears to have.

4. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

West slope cutties

5. The Duke

The Duke Been around

Definitely a Westslope Cutthroat Trout. They are a beautiful fish that I frequently catch high up on a Westside watershed. I've been looking for them a few times this year during runoff, and have yet to catch one. I've caught a couple on the Methow. I hope to encounter that one in a few years. Nice fish!

6. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

There's a fair number of these in the Kettle river near Curlew

7. The Duke

The Duke Been around

The Yakima (in a few places) has some nice, larger fish of the same species.

Attached Files:

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

That second fish isn't a cutthroat. It looks like and EB or a Bull. The big mouth is a give away.

Kaiserman likes this.
  9. Preston

Preston Active Member

Westslope cutthroat (Oncorhynchus clarki lewisi), the spotting pattern you describe is typical of this subspecies. The "blue spots" are parr marks, typical of almost all immature salmonids. The red "spots" are just places where the reddish side band shows through, interrupted by the parr marks. "Westslope" refers to the west slope of the Rocky Mountains which is the primary native range of this subspecies. In Washington state O.c.lewisi is only native to the Chelan, Methow and upper Coeur d'Alene basins but has been widely planted (from the Twin Lakes hatchery in the upper Wenatchee basin; it is not known for certain whether the Twin Lakes strain are actually native to that location or whether they were stocked there at a very early period) into alpine lakes on both sides of the Cascades. "Washouts" from these plantings have established reproducing populations in some streams on both the east and west slopes of the Cascades.

jwg likes this.
  10. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Both are atlantic salmon.

Cedar, plaegreid, weiliwen and 2 others like this.
  11. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Look like bullhead to me.

12. BDD

BDD Active Member

I'm betting I know which creek you were fishing. I recognize those two fish as I caught them last fall!

13. CLO

CLO Boats and cohos

If it's the creek I'm thinking of it's closed in the fall..

Also that would be a brook trout.

14. lylelovett666

lylelovett666 Active Member

Fished the Taylor last weekend & pulled the exact same cutties out. West slopes.

15. Golden Trout

Golden Trout Active Member

Looks like a immature rainbow to me. Not much of a tech guy but blackle immature rainbow trout and look at some of the images.
    [​IMG]

16. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Then who's the joker that drew on that rainbows lower jaw with an orange sharpie?

plaegreid likes this.
  17. Golden Trout

Same joker that doesn't paint par marks like that on cutties.

18. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

19. Golden Trout

Pat: if you keep on blackleing you will find wscutts with no par marks as well. Only truly wild wscutts I catch these days are in Alberta. The wee ones do not exhibit par marks.

20. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Well just because it does have Parr marks doesn't mean its a rainbow.
    Looks a lot more like a westslope than a rainbow anyways.
    But unless he obtained a DNA sample we'll just have to call it a cuttbow for now.