Fish of the year, so far...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jim Speaker, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +518 / 0
    image.jpg

Secret lake. All I'll say is in WA. :)

23" slab of a rainbow. This fish was HOT with many runs and some spectacular jumps!

image.jpg
  2. Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Lost in the woods.....
    Ratings: +194 / 0
    Awesome fish Jim!
    Jim Speaker likes this.
  3. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    First I've ever seen trout selective to a blood worm hatch. They were sucking worms that were in the film.

[IMG]

Now I have this for next weekend, when cast gently it hangs in the film. When cast not so gently it sinks real slow. Matching the hatch, suckas!
    tonemike and Mark Kraniger like this.
  4. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Sorry about the sideways photos. They looked right on my phone...
  5. Eric Denny It's summer time I'm fishing!!

Spokane, WA.
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    No need to tell me the lake I have seen that leaf and same blue water at a lake near me so I know where it is!!!!!
  6. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA

Perfect. See you there next weekend ;)
    Eric Denny likes this.
  7. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +836 / 0
    Of course by then they will be eating baetis duns and you will have left your other box at home to make room for more bloodworms:p
  8. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    Nice fish! I'll find that spot! I figure that I can paddle out on a bunch of lakes and start studying the reflections of the trees until I see the same treeline visible in your lower photo (releasing the fish), and then I'll drop anchor and have at it!
    Hell, I'll bet that even I could tie up a blood worm. I am still refraining from digging in my compost pile, but I could probably find some "red wrigglers" in it if I wanted to cheat!;)
  9. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,336 / 0
    Great fish! If you ever make it over east this fall to go fishing, let me know.
    Jim Speaker likes this.
  10. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +774 / 2
    Nice fish. Never seen or heard of bloodworms in the surface film. I'll need to watch for that.
  11. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Fairly easy to spot... they're really red! ;)
    Brookie_Hunter likes this.
  12. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    I might. I have some small moving water in your neck of the woods that I haven't seen for a few years. Shoot me a pm, we should talk.
  13. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,722 / 0
    Hey, where's your Montana report at. I though you were going to post it.
  14. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    I've only written part of it. When I'm not working I have been attentive to other priorities, mainly fishing of course. I have part of it written... ;)
  15. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    It looks like it's going to be lost,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I was going to write something else but it's gone out of my brain now. It sucks to lose ones mind. One minute it's there and the next minute it's gone.
    Steve Vaughn and Jim Speaker like this.
  16. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,694 / 0
    Phones are for communication. Cameras are for photography. The combination of the two makes for a poor phone and camera. :D

Nice fish indeed! I too have noticed that blood worms are usually bright red -- an unfortunate color if you're attempting to hide from trout :)
  17. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    I just meant that the orientation of the photos looks correct on a browser on my phone, but sideways in a browser on a PC.

Yes, they don't call em blood worms for nothing! They are a little brighter than I could imitate but the above is pretty damn close. My mini San Juan took this fish - vernille's a little fat, but the length was correct.
  18. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    I was fishing my favorite creek this spring and I had a bright red blood worm in my box so I decided to give it a try. Hardest hit and the fly was gone. I was using 5x tippet. I don't have any of those flies left as it was a one of a kind that I tied up.

Maybe I'll dig out my vise and try to do some woven flies. That was what I fished with on that hit. Now if I can remember how to tie some up.
  19. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,694 / 0
    The "secret" fly pattern folks use during the early Spring on The McKenzie is a blood worm. The theory is that the high water of the winter eats away at the river banks and earth worms are more available to the trout. As no one wants to tie a fly that looks like a genuine earth worm, fly anglers use SJ worm patterns instead.

I've never tried it but when fishing from a drift boat, I guess they work.

Of course, in a lake, the "worms" will eventually become flying midges... how blood worms end up in the surface film is a mystery.

But whatever works... There's no "always" in flyfishing.
  20. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    I don't fish bait often, but when I do, I catch big fish. :D