Fish of the year, so far...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jim Speaker, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,725 / 0
    What's bait.
  2. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +518 / 0
    A San Juan worm ;)
  3. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,105 / 1
    They migrate at certain times of the year, and they can also be washed out of the mud in high winds if they have cased up in shallow water. Fall is a typical time for this to happen. From there, they can find themselves in the surface film. They will also ball up at times. Blood worms/san juan worms fished in rivers will mimic actual blood worms/worms/and for that matter food. Fish will eat anything if it looks like food regardless if it matches a hatch.
  4. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    There was only a very mild breeze, the water was flat. They were, by the way, emerging. There were shucks I saw that matched their size, and my buddy watched an emergence happen. First I've ever seen them in the film, much less a high enough number that fish were selective. Glad I figured it out.
  5. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,105 / 1
    If they truly were emerging then what you were seeing were red pupa not larva. The midge/chironomid goes through a complete metamorphosis of egg than larva (blood worm), pupa (chironomid) and then adult.
  6. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Pupation and full metamorphosis is a thing I get, re midges and Caddis etc. I'm just saying, this was the first I'd seen them in the film. Yes, they were pupa, they were about 1" (I have a photo of one on my finger, but it may give away where), and they truly were emerging.
  7. prestonco New Member

Ratings: +2 / 0
    Great fish, congrats!!!
  8. tonemike fish'n glass

Monroe, WA.
    Ratings: +36 / 0
    Great fish! Thanks for including the fly pic. Always live to see flies!
  9. Patrick Allen Active Member

Bothell,WA
    Ratings: +177 / 0
    Jim nice fish. You deserve it after your struggles this year. Keep up the good work
  10. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,725 / 0
    I have a cell phone. All it does is make calls and then I answer it when it rings. It doesn't take pictures, I can't browse the web, I don't care to. It's just a dumb phone and I'm happy with it. It's cheap to.