Fish The Yakima River Today!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dustin Toney, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Dustin Toney New Member

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Anyone interested?

I have the boat, Waiting for my wife to get off work then headed that way, Thinking about floating from ringer down. Not a long float but should be good dry fly fishing.
  2. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,254 / 0
    Hopefully you get some skwala action on the surface.
  3. Dustin Toney New Member

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    need someone to go with me, don't want to fish out of the boat alone.
    dfl likes this.
  4. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +705 / 1
    An honest to god, crisis and call for help. A post like this going unanswered on a fly-fishing forum is criminal :D

My excuse is a honey-dew list that's got more back orders than the Bushmaster factory; pressure wash way too damn much concrete, cut down vine maples, windows and screens cleaning, etc. etc. But, with those in the rear view mirror by close of business today, the forthcoming weekends are looking brighter.

Hope you found someone to fish with Dustin.
  5. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    A little more notice and I'm there.
  6. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +236 / 0
    On Thursday from S Cle Elum to State we were into large (15-20") fish from noon on. There are a few March Browns as well as Skwalas. Did well on a Chubby Chernoble and a purple bodied quigley trailed behind it. It was a guided trip with Ryan White out of Troutwaters and we saw no other boats or bank anglers! (don't get any better than that and no "W"!) About equal on both flies and brought 12 to hand as well as a couple LDR's on some very nice looking fish! Go fish the river soon!
  7. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    A couple examples P1030538.JPG P1030542.JPG P1030544.JPG
  8. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +705 / 1
    Broken record here, but I say the Yakima is one of the most underrated rainbow fisheries in the RMW...those are some healthy looking boys... the fish, I mean the fish :D.
    Patrick Gould and Derek Young like this.
  9. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    Nice job Rick. I agree with FA, the Yak can be tough, but boy are those rainbows athletic and the cutts are like bulldogs. I think the heavy summer flow builds up their strength. I don't catch many 15"+ fish, but it doesn't matter because the little ones are strong too.
  10. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    The fish were all in discrete slots, mostly close to banks. My fishing partner, who is a beginner/intermediate caster, caught nothing, so a frustrating day for him, even from the front of the boat. It was all accurate casts and drag free drifts. (which is the kind of fishing I love!) Rick
    Derek Young likes this.
  11. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +844 / 1
    Presentation, Presentation, Presentation. Oh, and did I mention Presentation? ;)
  12. dfl Active Member

Sequim WA
    Ratings: +130 / 0
    You can't go wrong fishin with Whitey.
    The Duke likes this.
  13. The Duke Been around

Des Moines, WA
    Ratings: +67 / 0
    I've never fished with Whitey, but have ran into him multiple times while he was floating by on both the Yak and the Methow. Always very respectful of other anglers, and even gave me some suggestions of flies to choose while he was floating by. On a recent day when the Yak was blown out, he was at Troutwater in Cle Elum and picked a Rocky Ford fly for me that was the go to for the weekend. Nothing else worked, and I had my best RF day ever with his pick. He's legit. Nice trip Rick!
    JesseCFowl likes this.
  14. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Here is a cutt I caught that day. Ricky on the Yak 007.jpg
    Builder and Dustin like this.
  15. sopflyfisher Active Member

Where the fish are located
    Ratings: +403 / 0
  16. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,647 / 0
    I fished with Yt before he was a guide. He was a toot to fish with. Doesn't understand how to work padlocks though. If he reads this and remembers he will admit it.
  17. Nathan Weston Member

Bellingham, WA
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    Rick,
    I see retirement is treating you well.

Nice fish
    Say high to Patty from the Weston's if you ever get off the river.