Fish Whispering fly fishing show coming to WA

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by james.jimenez, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Just saw that one of my favorite Fly Fishing TV shows is heading to Washington in the couple of weeks. Zac Sexton the guy who runs the show is a pretty cool dude. In an exchange of both emails and Facebook messages he has helped me keep up with the show while I am stationed here in Korea. He really has gone out of his way to keep me watching the TV show.

He was looking for someone who is familure with the Olympic Penisula area or the Cascades Area in order to film his show. Not sure if he has found anyone yet but might be a great opportunity to get some TV face time. Maybe become famous.

If by chance you happen to see Zac on the water, or his dog, tell him I said what's up.

Any guide recommendations i can pass along?

2. no flyfisherman worth anything wants to become famous. only salesmen want to become famous.

that said i have got the perfect place for him to go but I ain't selling it to him :) ... nice guy though net him a couple years ago..

Olive bugger likes this.
  3. His show is pretty corny... but he has two dogs so that is a huge plus.

No matter how amateur and corny the show... I still watch it so there must be some appeal. Most likely because it's more like actual fly fishing than an expensive production where the host always catches giant fish.

I'll try to find the episodes that he shoots in Washington.... the hardest part of watching the show is finding it during the week.

Tacoma Red likes this.
  4. He does fish with a bamboo rod so that should get some points.:cool:

5. He also fishes with fiberglass.

I do wish he wore a proper fishing vest instead of using a man purse.... :)

Steve Unwin likes this.
  6. The show is way corny, but I don't hold it against him because he just seems like a guy who likes to fly fish. He seems to have a respect for the fish, and like you mentioned, he's not about trying to look like a bad ass while some crap soundtrack blares in the background. I've only seen the show a handful of times but it seems like it's a pretty good approximation of what a day of fishing might be like. Walk around cast a whole bunch, maybe catch a few fish.

I imagine if I tried to verbalize all the aspects of fly fishing I appreciate I'd come off corny as well.

7. He also does this thing called a "CuttieThon" which is an event that raises funds that go to Cutthroat trout research and restoration projects, as well as research to find a cure for diabetes.

http://cuttiethon.org

Here is a link to the episode he sent me...

Thanks for posting guys.. I would like to try and get this show a little more play time on the TV, help it gain more popularity.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  8. What channel is it on?

9. I'm with Comcast. The series is on CSN and for HD, in my part of the country, that is channel 737.

He does kind'a ramble on and on about this and that but that's okay... at least it isn't scripted. Sometimes he falls down while making his way to the water or along the river and he does hook vegetation on a back cast from time to time so it is genuine non-edited clips and actual flyfishing... not a Hollywood version.

"A River Runs Through It" it ain't.

(sometimes I do worry about him hooking one of his dogs on a back cast because they are not exactly little dogs)

10. It might be better for the Olympic Peninsula at this point if he were to leave his rod at home, and take a walk up the Elwha River with some of the restoration crews, and cover the story of the dam removal process, and how the wild fish are coming back there. And there are numerous other restoration projects out here, through the state, the tribes, and federal government, that are recovering wild fish and their habitats. Look up www.nosc.org for some examples. I don't think that promoting fishing here with a television show, no matter how well intended, is the best step for the conservation of our few remaining wild fish resources here today. I have no doubt that some fly shops or guides will leap at this opportunity to beat their drums for pumping the hell out of fishing here though. http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

11. Have you seen an episode of his show? I don't think he is about "pumping the hell out of fish".

12. HIs shows are the most conservation minded of any fishing shows I've watched.

He has high reverence for the trout and their habitat. Conservation and reconstruction of rivers and fisheries man has destroyed is one of the subjects he rambles on and on about.

13. Yes I have seen the show. And I like his style. But television is about gaining maximum viewers. Television shows that feature specific waters and fisheries have a way of over selling and over pressuring some of those resources. That's the outcome. This is not an accusation of your friend, just an observation.

Olive bugger likes this.
  14. I've seen his show. He's a fisherman. He can go to pretty much any river or stream in the Cascades (likely the Olympics too) in the next month and catch trout, probably lots, with his skills. The fishing is "on." If he's steelheading then he's just in the same boat with everyone else.

Maybe that's not what you're looking for? It's not quite clear.

15. In keeping with the show's strong conservation message, perhaps he can use that same broad viewer opportunity to tell the unique story of how some fish runs were lost here, and how some of them are being recovered, and what ordinary people can accomplish to make these things happen. I am not trying to discourage him from coming here. I am just saying that he could shift his focus and do a great service by educating people that wild fish are worthy of a higher standard of behavior. That would be a win-win for all concerned.

1morecast likes this.
  16. The last episode I watched dealt with him fishing a river in Montana (I think) that was killed decades ago by mining operations. Once the operations stopped, conservationists set about to fix what the mining destroyed. They were successful and the entire point of that episode was showing that a dead river can be brought back to life if you stop polluting the sucker and reverse what man did.

He mentioned that fact in so many different words time and time again.

I'd say he would certainly mention conservation concerns of a river if he's aware of them. The guy is an river environmentalist and he makes no bones about that. If someone knew which river (s) he is fishing, you could determine if there is info he needs to mention in the series and pass it along. Maybe James could help with that. I seriously doubt if Zac would avoid pointing out problems if there are any.

17. There are plenty of interesting fisheries for non-glamour species that could make a cool show. It is not all pumping up steelhead or beach sea-run cutthroat fishing. He could fish high alpine lakes, the beaches for surfperch, lowland lakes, non-anadromous stream reaches, find a boat and fish salmon or rockfish. None of these options would hurt wild fish, but it is easier to knock guides and fly shops for promoting any fishing. Some always have to attack others to make a point. Sad......

18. I have seen several episodes of "Fishing Whispering" and have generally enjoy them.

Western Washington has dozens (100s?) of interesting small streams that support native trout (rainbows, coastal cutthroat, bulls and even a few Dolly Varden). Many of those streams can provide unique and challenging fishing for some beautiful trout. They range from some step across cutthroat streams in the lowlands to wild rainbows living in streams that would qualify as full blown rivers in other parts of the country. In nearly every case these water hold beautiful trout that depending on the water can very from those smaller than your palm and to those might be considered trophy in most parts of the Country. Some of those waters the trout still persist in waters that have been significant others are as wild and unspoiled as they were 200 years ago.

These unique habitats and the native fish they support are the back bone of our larger rivers systems. Without those waters many of the larger main stems would be fishless. This a conservation story that can be told without naming a single water or threating our precious anadromous salmonids. I for one would enjoy such an episode.

curt

underachiever and nailbender like this.
  19. We should set him up with Caveman for some carping.

20. Lower yak for bass master action, or highlight our awesome e wa carp flats