Fishing and Ornithology

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Go Fish, Apr 16, 2009.

1. troutcatcher6

troutcatcher6 New Member

Media:
    I have seen yellow headed blackbirds at medical lake, and I have seen a gray jay while camping once. cool little bird. look it up.. :cool:

2. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Rarest for me has been a Snowy Owl & a pair of Loggerhead Shrikes . . . saw all of these on the Hanford Reach. Watched a couple Ravens one time in the fall after an early wet snow . . . grasshoppers had taken refuge in a pasture under cow pies. The Ravens would flip the pies over & gobble-up the sluggish hoppers . . . ate so many they could hardly fly. When I lived on Oyster Bay in Bremerton, Gulls & Crows would regularly catch clams at low tide, then swoop upwards over my concrete retaining wall & drop the clams to break the shell. Just finished watching a pair of Robins in the back yard dining on nightcrawlers . . . they seem to know my watering schedule . . .

3. Preston

Preston Active Member

The gray jay, more commonly known as the camp robber, can be a real nuisance. When I used to do a lot of backcountry skiing, a lunch break, even in the dead of winter, would usually draw anywhere up to a dozen of these hungry little thieves who, given the opportunity, would try to snatch food right out of your hand.

4. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

. . . so named for good reason. Like crows & magpies, they also have a fondness for shiny objects & have been known to spirit small items such as keys, brass shell casings, lures, etc off to their nest.

5. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    I've known people that imitate a lot of calls and recognized by ear, a ton more. Ive been trying to catch more on the vid, but it's a tough gig. Great photos Preston.

6. riseform

riseform Active Member

Media:
    I almost forgot these two, both taken at the Sound.

7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Riseform, those are great. I especially love the bad ass 'fro on the Kingfisher.

8. rattlesnakeflyguy

rattlesnakeflyguy Harrison

riseform, these are amazing photos. I really like them...thanks for sharing with the rest of us nutballs.

9. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

So, this weekend, the peregrines put on a real show for those of us lucky enough to be in the right spot. Day one, a peregrine picked off a smaller bird, possibly a RWBB, and took it back to the cliff area. This is typical of a mating pair, where the male (tercel) takes an offering back to the female (falcon) and they get pretty darn vocal with the "kekking". Second day, A small duck (bufflehead?) over the water. Hit the bird, took it to a rock wall just up from the water, repositioned the kill and flew off with it to the cliff. In both cases, it sounded like a jet while in the stoop. You actually heard the whoosh before you saw the bird.

MB

10. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

In September when I fish the Willapa River, I often see what i think are Green Herons walking along the bank or perching in the streamside trees. I haven't gotten any pics of them.

11. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Not so much an odd bird to see around here, but an odd location. I was about 10-15 miles offshore from Neah Bay when I had a hummingbird follow my boat for about 5 minutes. Had me surprised.

12. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

when I'm out fishing with Scott Salzar it is great to use his info about all the different birds. He is a encyclopiediya birdtanica:thumb: