Fishing anxiety/insomnia? Is it just me?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Alosa, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Alosa

Alosa Active Member

I live at least 2.5 hours from decent fishing (American River in Sacramento - ughh!!), and 3-3.5 hours if I want a shot at a nice fish in a non-urbanized setting. Yes, it sucks. But what's worse is that to get to these locations near dawn I have to leave my house by 3:30AM at the absolute latest. The night before one of these trips I'm wound up so tight with anxiety about missing my alarm that I can't sleep at all. This leads to a less than enjoyable experience overall, and can be downright dangerous as I'm driving home in the dark on little to no sleep. With a 2 year old at home I get to go fishing one day a month tops, and I hate to see the experience ruined by anxiety based insomnia. Does anyone else go through this? How do you deal with it?

2. PT

PT Physhicist

I'd say start at noon the day before the trip drinking heavily so you could pass out drunk early but can't do that with a 2yo in the house. Worked for me but I had no kids.

Brett Angel likes this.
  3. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    I get that same anxiety even though the rivers only ten minutes away from my house. The drive there can be hell sometimes I get so anxious.

4. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Media:
    Yes, I experience that often, at least the restless sleep. Either anxious about the next days prospects or concerned about missing the alarm. Sometimes it helps me to pop a couple aspirin (seems to settle the nerves) but mostly just try to keep calm and realize that I never miss the alarm for things that I want to do.

Since you only get out once a month, is there a chance you could get out the night before (late, after the kiddo is in bed) to head to the river, and camp the night before? I've done that in the past (I have little ones as well) and it makes it a much more enjoyable experience, without causing extra stress for the wife. It might mean returning home a little earlier the following day as a compromise, but potentially worthwhile.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  5. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I don't get up early to go fishing... at least, not any more. I figure if you know what you're doing, you can adjust your tactics so you can catch fish any time of the day. Shoot... anyone can catch fish at dawn but starting at 11:00 AM is a challenge (which also gives you time to go out to breakfast and that can be the highlight of the day) :D

6. snarlac

snarlac Member

Ummm - dunno if I understand:

Not sure what the doings are with the equation 2yo = 1 d/month fishing "tops"; but hey - just a thought here, I don't think that's necessarily the universal lifestyle amongst married fisherman. Sounds like what you are doing is real long day trips - 6-7 hrs driving, a day of fishing, no relaxation in between, and maybe not so much when you get back?

Yahh, I can see all that as stressful, and no, I don't know anyone who does it quite that way.

I would say you need to fish more often.

7. Brett Angel

Brett Angel Member

Media:
    Alosa, I go through this. Under no circumstances can I force myself to fall asleep if I’m not ready, but I can control when I get up. I’d rather enjoy a shorter relaxed trip than a stressed out all day trip. I do enjoy having a few drinks the night before to quiet the brain.

8. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Usually only happens to me when I get a last minute call to go fishing with someone else early the next day, and my gear isn't ready for the trip, and I don't have any snacks ready to go, and I need to tie some flies or jigs and go to the store for supplies and fuel up the rig, etc... and I was told to meet at 5:30 or 6 am somewhere way out in the boonies or in my buddy's driveway even earlier.
    But that late last minute call is much better than not being asked whether or not I want to go.

9. pigburner

pigburner Active Member

Media:
    When I have an early morning flight for a trip to Alaska or a 2:30 am wakeup call for a 4-hr drive for steelhead, I'll set three or four different alarms a few minutes apart. It takes away the missing-the-alarm anxiety, but I'm usually still pretty wound up thinking about the upcoming fishing so end up going to sleep just as late. Just make sure to turn the extra alarms off if the first one gets you up, or your spouse may not be too happy with you.

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I'm like GAT, I don't get out till noon or beyond. These Montana fish are all well versed on what time to bite. When I was in Washington we always got up at O'dark thirty to go fishing. Now here in Montana these fish bite all day long. I might get up early but my fishing doesn't start until I feel I'm ready. About noon is just fine. When you get as old as GAT and I am we need our rest.

11. Gary C. Brown

Gary C. Brown Les Paul Lover

Media:
    I heading on a trip to the Bighorn tomorrow and I guarantee I will not sleep well or if all tonight. The flight will seem to take forever, in fact I am pretty sure time will slow down.
    This happens whether I am going to a dream stream like the Bighorn or getting up to throw flies and small cutties in the Cascades or the Cedar down the street.
    I think it is a curse and a blessing, I hate to lose the sleep, but to still have the same excitement that I felt as a child waiting for Chirstmas morning is pretty cool.

12. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

13. Alosa

Alosa Active Member

AMEN!!! Can you please speak to my wife and convince this is necessary?

14. snarlac

snarlac Member

Nope. Go read the recent thread "date night" and drink a beer.

15. zimdependent

zimdependent New Member

I have a 4 year old, a 7 year old and a preggers wife. I have been hitting this day on the river thing to better understand WTF I am doing on Saturdays. And I get up super early on Sunday. Mostly so I have a decent place to park where ever I am going. I get really poor sleep because I am so excited! I miss out on the late afternoon and night bite though, and normally get skunked, mostly because I am new to this and I just keep figuring that more time on the water will eventually = more fish landed.

I fish every weekend and some weeknights when I can, but I live 30 mins from river or salt. I take my kids sometimes and that just turns into me tying their knots and stressing about how I will probably not be able to fish. But my kids love it. I try to get my wife involved but she is not interested in it. THANK GOD!

Fishing calms me like nothing else. I can for a couple hours forget about work, and when I am not with the kids, about the stresses of being a dad and husband. That is really important because if I don't get me time, I am a total dick to everyone I live with. For too many years I feared being away from the family because I thought my wife would resent it. I realized last year that we resent each other more by not allowing each other to go do the things that you love. So Eff it brother and fish on.

Sorry for such a long post.

wadin' boot and Old Man like this.
  16. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Yet another example and reason (as if the other 100+ weren't enough) not to live in California. I did for 16 years and will never do so again.

17. Alosa

Alosa Active Member

If I lived in Redding I wouldn't complain all that loudly, but access to rivers when living near Silicon Valley isn't great.

18. jersey

jersey livin' the dream

Consider the full day trip starting from noon to noon...stay overnight where you fish. A bit more planning involved, but its cool. You can also catch a decent nap in there somewhere!

My wife demands I get out because ultimately I am a DB when its been too long. Four kids, brother, it aint easy.

Alosa, its time to learn the suds, you are too close not to, its different but your locale forces your hand.

wadin' boot likes this.
  19. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:

Aren't there stripers all around the bay area?

20. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

Pills? Xanax, lunesta knock yourself out!

Chawhee likes this.