Fishing anxiety/insomnia? Is it just me?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Alosa, Aug 21, 2013.

1. jersey

jersey livin' the dream

You bet boot. Seasonal like anything else...

Surf Perch are a freakin' blast when you get into a school. You gotta really pay attention to everything around you and still stay in touch with your fly. Really, really fun.

Nice one Patrick!

2. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Media:
    I deal with it frequently. The solution that I have found is always a good safe sleeping pill to knock me out early. Beware you need to find the one that works for you. Drugs like unisom, and nyquil sleep, or any artificial medication for that matter ends up leaving me dragging ass the next day.
    Even though I am knocked at and asleep, it is like the pill needs 24 hours to get out of my system.

The best medication that I can suggest is made by " Nature Made" and is named " Simply Sleep". This has all natural stuff in it ( i think), and does not leave you feeling shitty the next day. It is a good option when you want or need to flip your schedule around.

3. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Media:
    Years ago i would bounce off the walls trying to sleep if heading out to a first time body of water. I am always setup the nite before and dont stress about missed items or the alarm. I would stay awake thinking about the new fishing trip with all the variables and unknowns etc etc.
    Now I go to bed with help from the medicine cabinet. I get my fix while prepping the gear and settling in for the evening. I get a good nite of sleep and eat a quality breakfast.
    If its a place i have been to before, i sleep easy and dont get excited enough to lose any sleep.

4. Siskiyoublues

Siskiyoublues Member

That sounds like grounds for a CA medical mary jane perscription if I ever heard one. :p Reason-Fishing trip induced anxiety.
    Sorry to hear that living in southern california is still the pits.

I try to wake up at the crack of dawn daily, so an extra hour earlier to get up at 4 30 is no big deal,
    solved that problem except I seem to want to go to bed around 8 30pm every day.

5. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    Reminds me of when I lived in Brooklyn. We would get up at 5, drive 2.5 to the Catskills, hit the Roscoe Diner, fish for 12 hours, and drive back in Saturday night NYC partygoer traffic. Catskill trips were great fishing but an 18-hour day trip was daunting and sleeping the night before required steak and beers in my belly.

6. jersey

jersey livin' the dream

Forgot a recommendation, Melatonin. Works similar to danielocean's suggestion, it works and you dont feel shitty the next day

7. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

If I'm having trouble falling asleep, I just turn on my computer and start reading forum posts here, and next thing you know, I'm nodding off!:p
    Like right now, for example!

8. "Q"

"Q" Member

A few years ago I got a prescription for sleep medication and I will pop one of those in the event I feel some trip anxiety coming on. The medication is meant to last 8 hours so you need to take it early enough in the evening that you wake up refreshed 8 hours later, not all druggy after 4 hours.

9. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Media:
    I'm going out tonight after work. I slept okay last night but woke up early, excited, and couldn't get back to sleep!

10. Nathan Weston

Nathan Weston Member

Media:
    I hear yah!
    I have a 7 year dare devil son and a small business that keeps me up as it is. Any chance that I can make it to the river is a big deal. So I would be up all night thinking about what needs to be done and the epic fishing.
    What really help me was packing the night before, taping a check list to the coffee pot, two shots of patron and a large shot of Z-quill before bed.