Fishing before work

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Steve Unwin, May 2, 2013.

1. Steve Unwin Active Member

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +93 / 0
    I decided that today would be a nice day to get the float tube out before work. Got up around 6 and headed to a nearby stocker lake, on my way to work.

Started out kicking out from the launch with a GRHE and chironomid under an indicator. Within a few minutes the indicator drops a few times so I'm feeling pretty good; I get the fish up and realize he's snagged on the chironomid on his underside. Now I'm not feeling so good. He seems relatively unharmed so I release and continue on.

Caught several at a few feet on the GRHE. These were pretty standard 10-11" stockers but had plenty of fight and hit hard. Saw one try to take my indicator as it hit the surface so I decided I would try some dry fly action, just for fun. Cut off the c-mid and decided to drop the GRHE of a Turk's Tarantula just for fun. I didn't expect much on the TT but started getting hits immediately, split between the Turks and GRHE. Slow, short retrieves seemed to really draw them in.

Finished up with 7-8 landed in 1.5 hours. Had a great time, and enjoyed the beautiful morning.
  2. mbowers Active Member

Jupiter, FL / Victoria, BC
    Ratings: +81 / 0
    Did the same this morning in Florida with Capt Dino except we went 2 for 6 on snook and 3 for 3 on lookdowns. No matter the species, it's still the best way to start the day.
    Irafly likes this.
  3. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +209 / 0
    I am known to hit the salt before heading into work. Only about 10 minutes from the office, works out well.

MB