Fishing Buddies: What's the Voltage?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by sportsman, Dec 5, 2013.

1. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

The newer FB's use 6 AA batteries. One AA is 1.5 volts, so am I correct in thinking that one 9 volt battery { not the little ones, more like a RC battery} would be the correct voltage?

2. Jerry Metcalf

Jerry Metcalf FishyJere

Not necessarily, it depends on how they are wired. Parallel or in series gives different results, one raises voltage, the other amperage. Sometimes you can tell by looking at the carrier of the batteries. The number of cells does not guarantee the voltage, probably but not for sure.

3. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

I have researched it and haven't been able to get an answer. I have tried to check the routing of the wires and it almost looks like it's 6 volts. I just want to get rid of the AA's . Thanks for the reply.

4. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

I finally reached a 'real' person at Humminbird Tech Support. I am not the first person to ask about this. It is a 9 volt system, but they don't recommend trying to use a seperate 9 volt battery. They say it could damage the unit, but couldn't say how or why! I'm guessing a single 9 volt battery would carry a higher amperage raiting. The only drawback to the color model [140C] is it drains the batterys a lot faster, really fast when using the sidefinder.

5. Seth Tyson

Seth Tyson Active Member

6 AA's will give you longer battery life (normally) . If you ever look inside a 9v battery, you will find 6 1.5v cells inside (also normally). Higher Battery life (Ampere Hours) is your ultimate goal. This can differ between two batteries of the same size/rating with different chemical compositions.

Modifying any electronic device will almost always void any kind of warranty.

What your main reason you want to change to a single battery, convenience?.

6. Sinkline

Sinkline Active Member

I looked at the manual and spec. docs. to see if they list the input voltage in terms of a range, but they don't express it that way. If you could learn what the range of input voltage is you could decide about another battery option. Know that LiPo RC vehicle batteries are expressed in terms of voltage per cell, with multiple in-series cells adding-up the voltage. For LiPo batts nominal voltage is 3.7V per cell..., but the important thing to know is that fully charged voltage is 4.2V per cell. So, if the max. allowable voltage for your unit is truly only 9.0V then a 2-cell LiPo will give you 8.4V, and 3-cell will give you 12.6V. Most units have a range of allowable input voltage (I run a 4-cell on my Garmin).

What's great about LiPos is they discharge very linear voltage over the charge cycle. However, when they near the usable output max. they drop like a rock! The batteries last for years so long as you don't discharge them below the minimum recommended voltage per cell.

Another great thing about LiPos for sounders is they are compact and can be mounted/carried/stored at any angle.

Randy

7. Sinkline

Sinkline Active Member

To further explain what Mr. Metcalf said here. Batteries wired in, "parallel" retain the voltage of one single battery but increase the MAH (usable voltage time). Batteries wired, "in series" add-up the voltage of all batts but retain the MAH (usable voltage time) of just one batt.

Hope that makes sense???

Randy

8. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

Seth, if you look at the other thread on fish finders, you'll see that i 'disassembled' my 140C Fishing Buddy. When I was talking about a 9 volt battery, i was referring to the larger ones like Sinkline referanced. More cost upfront, but longterm wouldl be cheaper recharging them. I'll probably stick with the AA's, maybe if I start using it more I woudl get rechargeables, which are way overpriced.

9. GAT

GAT Active Member

I've found sales for AA batteries at places like Home Depot where you can buy a ton of the critters for 12 bucks. Long ago, I tried using rechargeable batteries and found they were a hassle, expensive and didn't hold their charge all that long. Nowadays, I simple buy AA batteries in bulk and am much happier.

10. Darryl Pahl

Darryl Pahl Active Member

I use the Energizer Ultimate Lithium Batteries in my fishing buddy. Sure they cost more, but you can find deals on them, and they really last 4-5 times longer. I.e., maybe 5 or 6 trips out rather than just 1 or 2. I also just keep 6 more spares in a (mostly) water proof battery case that I bought for a couple of bucks at Fry's.

11. GAT

GAT Active Member

Darryl, sounds good to me. It's a bit tricky but I've replaced the AA batteries in my FB while floating around.

12. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

I use rechargeable batteries. One summer season of long days fishing and you will burn thru a valu pak of disposables... which isn't good for anybody but Energizer etc.

13. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Like Gene I also found that the rechargeable models didn't hold a charge after a while. They did well at first but then their charge diminished with age. So instead I buy the abuser's pack at Costco and they do very well in my FB. I believe the Kirkland batteries are just rebranded Duracells, the cases appear identical. I keep six of them in a plastic bag in the back of my vest so I am never without power.

Ive

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  14. tkww

tkww Member

Have any of you tried to newer low-discharge NiMH rechargeables (Eneloop, etc)?

15. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

I get two full days out of my 140c before I have to change batteries now three days since it gets dark early and I buy Top Food batteries they last the longest are cheap or Duracell which are expensive usually buy those at Rite seems to have a deal on them most of the time. Just remember that Sams Club has started to carry Duracells

16. Starman77

Starman77 Active Member

I also have the 140c and got tired of feeding it the Duracell or Kirkland AA batteries, even though those Duracell's lasted me two to three days of fishing, so I bought some iGo rechargeable alkaline batteries to try. The iGo batteries lasted over two days at first, but after a year of use, they now only last about two-thirds of a day, so they are on their last legs, I think. The other thing about the rechargeable batteries is that they seem to have a slightly larger diameter than non-rechargeables, at least that's the case with my iGo batteries and some Eneloop batteries a friend was using that he let me try. That makes them harder to install and remove from the battery holder and you can easily damage the cover on the batteries if you use some type of tool to extract the batteries.

To me it is a wash, because with the rechargeables you have a higher initial cost (especially if you have to buy a charger), but then you don't have the waste of used batteries that you have with the non-rechargeables. But, after a year or so, you have to replace the rechargeables anyway.

By the way, be careful when you are replacing the batteries on that 140c, as the wires to the battery holder can easily break at their connections if you're not careful, as I discovered the hard way. The replacement battery holder from Humminbird was just $6.95, but they charged $10.00 s/h, so it was $16.95 total to replace that cheap battery holder.

Rex