fishing buddies

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by shockedalaskan, Sep 23, 2002.

1. shockedalaskan

shockedalaskan New Member

Home Page:
    Hello,

My name is Phil. I moved recently into Kirkland from Whitehorse, Yukon.

I heard that silvers were running down here. Does anyone know where? And what are they bitting on down here. When I told someone at Orvis that I caught silvers using a dry fly they thought I was lying.

I've noticed since I have been fishing washington, and catching the huge 6 inchers that perhaps they are used to seeing everything and just don't get excited.

I am looking for friends who love to fish. I have made my living as a guide, but specialize in Grayling, which you don't have here.

I have a fully equipped HUMMER with all of the GPS goodies and can pull up to 10K pounds and load gear.

I live in Kirkland and am 32.

Yours,

Phil

2. gknell9

gknell9 New Member

Hi
    Welcome to the site.
    I am 64 and probaly too old for young guy like you. I also live in Kirkland and try to do a lot of fishing since I am retired.
    I also have one son who is your age and one of my ex soccer players that are keen fishermen. If you are interested I will let them know if you want. They work but I know that they can find the time somewhere.
    We are fishing the Duwamish today for salmon.
    E mail me.
    Tony

3. Dal68

Dal68 New Member

Tony - Have they started to come up the Duwamish? I tried that place for the first time last winter. Tough finding a place. What are you using bait wise? What about location? Anywhere south of the 180th bridge? Thanks.
    Darren

4. miked

miked New Member

Media:
    hey phil im on the water about 4 times a week. i just live north of you in mukilteo drop an e-mail md48d@hotmail.com :THUMBSUP

5. gknell9

gknell9 New Member

Mostly Kings, but Sivers are in the sound.
    Using Corkies and yarn as usual. We have a spot near the 180 bridge.

6. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Do you fish those corkies and yarn in the traditional down and across wet fly swing or upstream cast and dead drift? :HMMM

7. guest

guest Guest

:DUNNO

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    What do I know---I'm just an old man

I was going to answer #1 but when I hit my enter button it put this post up with nothing on it. So I will try again.

What do you mean too old.I'm 67 and I still get around. I don't run wind sprints but I can usually walk a long way as long as it's flat. I'll keep going as long as my body will let me.

Jim :BIGSMILE

Well I just got done thinking about what I wrote about my body letting me. It got me thinking about last week when I went fishing Went to a local stream with one of my buds. Fish along ways down and on the way back my back started to hurt. Well I deceided to walk back on the road but the road was going up a hill. Well I'm not to bad on level ground,but that hill just about did me in. I didn't have any problems until I sat down and relaxed. Stopped on the way home to get gas and when I got out of my car my leg cramped up.I walked that one off,but the ones that I got later in the evening I couldn't walk off. Had them in both legs.It hurt so bad that I wanted to cry. That's a whole lot of pain to make me want to cry. So I guess I'm not in as good of shape as I want to be.

But I'm just like Timex, I take a licking and keep on ticking.

Jim :THUMBSUP

9. Dal68

Dal68 New Member

Any luck today Tony? Are there any Kings in there at the moment? Thanks!~!!! :BIGSMILE

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

Where have you been... :DUNNO :CONFUSED

11. gknell9

gknell9 New Member

YES. All of those, although the others are using a popper on a spinning reel. Last night there were a lot of Silvers jumping but none on my line.

12. gknell9

gknell9 New Member

I don't know about you but my 32 year old runs like a deer. He actually tries to run into his future.
    The other day I got stuck in the middle of a river and this young buck came bouncing across the river, picked me up and damn near carried me to the other bank.
    Very nice of him to do that as I actually needed support.
    My diginity and my self imposed youth went washing down the stream. I suddendingly realized that here was a young guy looking at an old man that needed help crossing a street.
    UGH! what a feeling.
    I keep on trucking though and try to be more conscious of my self imposed youthful ego.
    Tony :BIGSMILE

13. gknell9

gknell9 New Member

No kings that I could see. Although there were some big splashes, but I didn't see the fish. The silvers are there I saw them, but not on MY LINE.
    Tony :SAD

14. gknell9

gknell9 New Member

What is the fly?

15. Dennis Gerlitz

Dennis Gerlitz New Member

Home Page:
    I'm 65 retired June 02. Looking for more pals to fish with. Started flyfishing several yers ago & have lots to learn. Spent a week in Idaho this summer and partial week in BC. Have made a few trips to Alaska. Floating ANWAR next summer in AK with brother in law and group of 12. Off to try Thompson in BC this Thursday. :THUMBSUP

16. guest

guest Guest

"Where have you been..."

School's back in session; four games a week to shuttle the youngsters to and fro. I've been spending what little time is left for SPEY casting practice on the Skagit, you know, that river that is far too big to fish.

As for the fly - Some type of deer hair-ball. Maybe a Muddler or some type of spun deer hair caddis (?).

stumpfisher

17. shockedalaskan

shockedalaskan New Member

Home Page:
    Where is the duwamish? Are there silvers in there at the moment?

Yours,

Phil

yarn and a cork!

18. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

That river is also called the Green . It starts our as the Duwamish Waterway and at or about Tukwila it changes to the Green. It dumps into Elliot bay just a little South of downtown. If you look at a map of Seattle You can't miss where it runs at. And yes everyone says they are in but at the moment they all have lock jaw.

I usually sit at my computer with a map of Washington at my side so I can answer some questions of areas that I'm familiar with.

Jim :THUMBSUP

19. gknell9

gknell9 New Member

Go thru Seattle towards Seatac Airport. Use Hwy 99, past the Boeing plant to the intersection where Martin luther king is, go thru the intersection and you will see a bridge over the River.
    From there you can back track to the first road on the right. It dead ends at the river and there is a foot bridge there, go down the bank and there's the river.
    Or you can make a left turn at the Martin Luther intersection and take the back road to Tukwila there are spots alll along the bank.
    Or you can just follow the river up thru Tukwila all the way to Kent. Whatever its a fairly long river.
    Right now I am fishing near Hwy 99 for Silvers.
    Tony

20. gknell9

gknell9 New Member

Ouch, that must have been bad for you. Hope you don't see those cramps again.
    Tony