Fishing buddy puts on clinic!

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Roger Stephens, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Roger Stephens Active Member

Ratings: +297 / 0
    I was fishing on Puget Sound with Steve Rohrbach last Saturday and most of day he put on a "clinic" catching numerous sea-run cutthroat(16-19") and resident coho(14-16") using a fly pattern(Coho Sunset) that he has tied for Les Johnson's soon to be released revised book(Fly Fishing for Pacific Salmon). A picture of the pattern, material recipe, and tiers notes will be in the book.

At the second location that we fished he landed a 19" sea-run cutthroat. During a short period, at the third location he was hooking up nice sized fish on almost every cast using the Coho Sunset pattern. The rest of the day we had to work a lot harder to hook-up fish. Plus, we got humbled at two locations with no hook ups of staging adult coho.

Now for the rest of the story, Steve is one of those guys who has a small fish "bad attitude";) . He whined a lot about seeing only small fish jumping:hmmm: . When we had a double hook-up and my fish was larger than his fish, he had the audacity to say that he caught "my fish"(small one) by mistake:hmmm: .

All kidding aside, if you ever have an opportunity fish with Steve "just do it"! He is an extremely knowledgeable salt water fly fisher and a superb fly tier who welling shares his creative patterns plus he is a fun guy to fish with.

Roger