fishing for Pinks a waste of time?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Peter Pancho, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    brine: 1 part apple juice to 1 part soy sauce. soak overnight, dry for a few hours on a baking rack. smoke over applewood at 200 degrees.

smoked salmon doesn't get any better

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    i also need to add that the puyallup run fish are not the same as the north rivers fish. the fish in area 8 and 9 are much larger on average, and have a whole lot more fight in them. there's almost no comparing the puyallup fish vs the other ones, they're night and day difference.

3. I bought a 25 lb bag of Brown sugar at Costco, and now have less than a third left. The Big Chief served its duty very well. I am also a fan of the Pink. I enjoy Chum eggs Ikura style.

4. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    The pinks are great, it's rare to see a a biomass like that in Puget Sound in this day and age. I'll be honest, I get burned out on them, but in a couple months I know I'll be longing for an odd year summer.

I like to fish for whatever is fishing good. Enjoy it while you can! Those searuns and coho will be around when the pinks aren't.

5. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    to the original poster, if you feel fishing for pinks is a waste of time, it is. it really is that simple. if you would rather spend your time fishing for silvers and sea run cutthroat, then spending fishing time fishing for pinks is a waste of time.

for me, pinks were a pain in the ass out at neah bay. when you have large numbers of coho that you are having trouble reaching because you cannot keep the pinks off, and you prefer catching coho... then pinks are a "problem".

even our beloved coho can become a "problem" for some. i remember back in 2002 fishing next to a friend. there were silvers all over the place, resulting in silly fly fishing. occasionally i would hear my friend cursing. later i found out he was cursing the coho because he literally could not get his spoons down below them fast enough on his downriggers to access the kings below. so on that day, i was enjoying fishing for "trashy" coho. some people's treasure is other's garbage.

chris

6. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Funny stuff. Just like the gear heads at the Cowlitz that HATE the SRC cause they get in the way of the Steelhead. Oh YES, 2002 was my best year EVER, funny you mentioned it.

7. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

I kind of understand what you're asking. I don't get excited about the runs, and seldom spend the time to drive north to where there's a zillion of the fish. I have friends that try to get me excited about the fishery, but always seem to end up doing something else.

It could be the lack of challenge, they are so thick, and they bite anything. I did go to Hoodsport early in the run, and caught one on a new pattern, but that was it. I can't really put my finger on what's lacking, but apparently, pink fishing is not for everyone. I'm glad to hear it's not just me.

8. PT

PT Physhicist

I've never considered fishing to be a waste of time. It's up to each of us to pursue whatever it is that turns our crank. Some folks enjoy catching 5'' brookies from a tiny creek and others like to step, cast, retrieve, repeat, while wielding a rod that measures 15' on a river 1/2 mile wide with a fish run that numbers in the hundreds total instead of 1000's per mile.

Figure it out and enjoy.

9. Jake Bannon

Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

Media:
    My first salt humpy outing was a blast with my 5wt as I caught bunches. Pinks are fun the first few times you fish them but get old the after a few times out. Then its back to coho, chinook or steelhead. The few good things that slime rockets are good for IMHO for bringing to the table are eggs (for us gearheads and baitchuckers), take pressure away from the "other rivers", and are a great fish to take beginners out for catching. Remember this is all MY opinion. Im not a snob by any means...I like fishing for chums ;)

Jake

10. urbnfly

urbnfly Member

Media:
    Maybe my perspective is different because I fish from a boat, but I actually enjoy many aspect of pink fishing over every other species in the sound. In particular, I think the visual experience is far better than that of coho, kings, or src’s. I love watching huge schools of fish swimming right on the surface; then watch six or so break off to chase the fly; then to watch one open his mouth and eat is awesome! True there is nothing special about the fight after the hook up, but everything before the hook up is a unique experience in the sound. I almost never cast unless I see fish rolling. Whereas coho fishing to me usually involves a lot, sometimes too much casting without seeing fish. When you’re hooking them it’s great, but when you’re not it can wear on you. I don't have a lot of patience, so when I don’t see fish I get discouraged. It is also nice to be able to go out and know that your rod will be bent....all day!

11. troutaholic

troutaholic Member

Home Page:
    I love pinks! They fight well, there's plenty of them and they taste great. I don't even like salmon that much but when cleaned and cooled promptly they have a very mild flavor that my whole family likes. Plus I don't feel guilty about keeping a few when the rest of the year I catch and release only. As a final plus they seem to take a fly more readily than most salmon.

12. troutaholic

troutaholic Member

Home Page:
    I've been filleting and barbecuing them and I like the less strong flavor of pinks. With just a little lemon and rosemary rub they are quite good :)

13. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    I feel inadequate as a man when I enjoy catching pinks :p

14. Trevor Thorp

Trevor Thorp Happy to be home in the NW

Media:
    Just got home from the Pink fest at the Duwamish. I had the best time I have had in a while fishing. Non stop action. Only during a Pink run can you be surrounded by fish jumping and swimming under you everywhere you look. Pinks are great fish.

15. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    maybe I'm an elitist prick, but I hate how many pinks there are, same thing with sockeye, I fish because its hard, if I was fishing just to catch a lot of fish I'd throw salmon eggs (or a gillnet).