Fishing in Alaska w/ a 6 year old

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by bear, May 9, 2002.

1. bear

bear New Member

I'd like to take my son up to Alaska for a 3-4 day fishing trip. Any suggestions on where to go?

2. Rob

Rob New Member

Hog Hunter

Deciding where to fish in Alaska depends on the timing of your trip and what you want to fish for. There are always guides and charters available wherever you go, but that route can get expensive quick. If you are only going to be there for 3-4 days, I would recommend visiting the Russian River in mid to late June. During good years, that river sees a huge run of reds and fishing can be extremely hot. However, this fishery draws thousands of sportsmen each year. To avoid the crowds, get up early and make the easy hike to the upper Russian. Take your polarized glasses and walk the bank until you find a pod of fish. It can be as easy as that. The first time I went there, I could have limited out in 15 minutes.

The most important factor is timing. Make sure you check run counts and reports prior to setting your destination in stone. I personally like alaskaoutdoorjournal.com for current info about fishing up north. A nice aspect of fishing the Russian is that you are only about an hour away from other fisheries like the Kasilof River, Anchor River, and Deep Creek. The upper Kenai River (which the Russian dumps into) is also a trophy rainbow fishery. Good luck.

3. pwrbatrhatr

pwrbatrhatr New Member

I was in Alaska late last July. Any main rivers on the Kenai Pen. are loaded with folks, unless the fish aren't in. A couple small rivers close to Anchorage hold lots of fish, including Resurrection Creek. There's also a small river that runs right through Anchorage that holds quite a few fish, didn't seem busy, and rarely sees a bear!

There is also a great terminal fishery near Valdez. The local hatchery sends fish to the ocean where there isn't a river to return. It makes for several weeks of great fishing while the salmon swim in circles looking for fresh water. It doesn't sound like the most sporting, but it takes a lot of pressure off the native runs on local rivers... ending up better for everyone. Again, you don't see many bears during your fishing trip, but can take a pretty drive up some local streams and get an eye-full!

Good luck. Glad to hear you're starting 'em young. My daughter caught her first fish on a fly at the ripe old age of 2 1/2. (I did the casting, but she played the fish).

4. 0012

0012 New Member

If you want a guide talk to the AK Fly Guys their cheap and fish around anchorage. I'd stay away from the russian with your 6 year old there are to many meat fisherman A-Holes. I agree with others that Resssurection creek is good for pinks wich will provide nonstop action when you find them. When are you going to be here? E-mail me @ mccormick_pat12@yahoo.com for more innfo
    Tight Lines From Alaska
    0012 :THUMBSUP