Fishing in Nome

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jay C, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Jay C Member

Kenmore, Washington
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    I'm heading up north this weekend for work and might have extra day to explore the area. Have any of you been up there and have any suggestions not too far from town? From the little I have read there might be some coho, dollies, and grayling on some rivers this time of year. Just wondering if it is worth it to bring along a 7 weight with an assortment of flies. Thanks.
  2. Tony Polizzi Active Member

PT, OP
    Ratings: +66 / 0
  3. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
    Jay,
    Take some equipment with you. Last time I decided not to take a rod while traveling cost me a great fishing opportunity.
    SF
  4. Jay C Member

Kenmore, Washington
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Thanks guys, I have fished in Alaska, but I have never been to Nome before. I hear you Brian, that's good advice.
  5. Nicolas Eckhardt Member

Seattle
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    There are rivers around Nome but you will need to rent a car. Never fished them but I am sure they have something. If you do end up fishing them you will most likely be the only one.
  6. Wheetie New Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I'd take something. The fishing is great right now. The Nome river just southeast of town, right by the mouth to the Bering Sea has some pretty good fishing, but a lot of people hit that spot up with spinning rods. If you have a car, there's the Sinuk river maybe 20 miles northwest of town towards Teller that has pretty good access. I saw someone land a pretty nice fish with a fly.

Actually, there's tons of places. Three main roads out of Nome, and they all cross rivers with good fishing. I was just there, but I didn't take my fly rods, dang it....

You'll probably run in to a decent amount of people. The fishing is good and Nome is an isolated town, so everyone tries to pack the freezer with whatever they can, whenever they can.

Edit: Bug spray