fishing in Olympic Park

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by david in pa, Aug 2, 2002.

1. david in pa New Member

Renfrew, PA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    My family and I are taking a weeklong vacation to the Seattle area in a couple of weeks. We will be spending a couple of days in the park and I would like some help figuring out the fishing possibilities. I am an avid flyfisherman, fishing for any species. I have read some of the guidebooks about fishing in the park and they sound good , but, I am a bit skeptical about theses reports. My questions are: in general how will the fishing be in the middle of August? and are the streams wadable and accessible. This will be my first time to the area and so, any help would be appreciated.
    thanks

David B.
  2. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +770 / 1
    When you say you're spending a few days in the park, are you camping? Where do you plan to stay? Answer these and I can give you better insight.
  3. david in pa New Member

Renfrew, PA, USA.
    We are staying in a cabin at/near Sol Duc Hot Springs. I think that is in the park a bit. But, having access to a car, and welcoming the opportunity to explore, whatever may present itself is great. again, thanks for the advice.
    David B.
  4. Randy Knapp Active Member

Warm Springs, Virginia, USA.
    The Sol Duc should be good but be sure and try the Elwah between the two lakes for trout especially in the upper part where you have to walk down through the woods to access. Great trout fishing for fish 8" to 10".

Randy
  5. Daryn New Member

Could you also suggest any good areas to catch summer steelies in the park? I heading up this weekend. Thanks.
  6. Randy Knapp Active Member

Warm Springs, Virginia, USA.
    I've always gone to the hatchery on the Sol Duc and then gone to the back where the return point is and walk downstream. You can do the same thing fishing the Calawah and Bogashiel (SP?)but there are probably summer runs in all the major rivers now.

Randy
  7. ray helaers New Member

There is decent fishing in the Elwah for resident trout, Not that far from where you'll be. Take the Elwha entrance to the park from hwy 101 (some distance east of Sol Duc hot springs). Drive to the upper campground (mile or so past the toll booth). There is pretty good fishing all along here, particularly between tht etwo campgrounds. For a little better fishing, and a little more adventure, keep driving to the Whiskey Bend trailhead (ask rangers for a map or directions), and you can hike in a mile or two to Rico canyon or Humes Ranch (about an hour-in, little more-out), easy hikes on groomed trails. The fishing will be a little beter, the trout a little bigger, and the scenery spectacular.
  8. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,653 / 0
    I might be old---but I'm good.

Ray,whats this about a toll booth. I wanted to get over there to fish the Elwah but never seem to get the time. What do you have to do pay to get in the park?
  9. david in pa New Member

Renfrew, PA, USA.
    Ray

Thanks very much for the info. I will definitely take the advice - the hike and seclusion sound great. What about flies? here in PA in the middle of August, the mayflies are done (except some Tricos and BWO), there are some caddis (tend to be very small - 16-20) and terrestrials - mostly ants and beetles. Nymphing with small pheasant tails or hairsears,and an occasional wooley bugger tend to be what works the best. Can I expect somewhat the same in Olympic park? Are there any local "gotta try this" flies? Again any advice would be welcome.
    thanks
    David B.
  10. ray helaers New Member

It's been awhile since I've been to the Elwha, and I can't remember what or if there is actually a fee (though I'm sure there must be one for camping), but there is definitely a booth. Maybe it is just an info booth.

As for flies. The Elwha is glacial, and not an amazingly fertile stream. It does have a pale evening dun hatch, a small (about a #16) yellowish mayfly that can come off in good numbers on summer late evenings. If it is the bug I think it is, it's a clinger nymph, which means they're almost never in the drift, except when emerging, which explains while I've never done well there with mayfly nymphs. But you can do well with dries during the hatch. Back in the day I used an old-fashioned Light Cahill. Though if you do the day hike you'll likely miss it as you probably don't want to walk out in the dark (Bears!). I have done well at Humes Ranch with medium sized (about #10-#8)olive stonefly nymphs, that might have been scwalas (sp?), but that was much earlier in the season. There are scattered caddis, especially in the lower water; try elk-hairs, parachute caddis, henrysville, goddard, etc. If you take the day hike, I would bring along lots of attractor and/or general-service dries, stimulators, Wulfs, humpies, maybe some Adams', etc, in medium to small sizes.

You should have fun, especially if you do the hike. I'm not the backpacking type, so I've never been, but apparently the fishing gets better and better the farther in you go. But Humes Ranch is about as far as you can go and get out in a day, and I've always had decent to very good fishing there. The trail leaves the river for a little while at Humes Ranch, and the next easy fishing opportunity is another hour or so of walking, or so they tell me.