Fishing near Olympia

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Chris Brittin Johnson, Dec 6, 2013.

1. John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Olympia
    Ratings: +180 / 1
    There are a lot of opportunities for steelhead in the Olympia area. Are there a lot of publicly known fisheries, no. The cold hard facts about the south sound are that the fish are endangered. All the rivers that drain into the Chehalis will have fish, how many will depend on the river. I think you cannot go wrong with the Satsop or the Wynoochee as they will offer a lot of walk-in access. The problem with the Cowlitz is that if you do not have a boat, you are pretty much sequestered to a few very and I do mean very crowded spots.

The beautiful thing about Olympia is that is is central to just about all steelhead fishing in the wet side. You can drive 2 hours and fish for steelhead 365 days a year.
  2. NateTreat Banned or Parked

Lynnwood, Washington
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    I grew up in Olympia when gas was cheap, and yep, you can steelhead from there 360. Now that I'm in the north end, I'm missing that 2 hour drive. With ferry fees and hauling a boat, if I go to the coast, it's at least a four day trip.
  3. John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Olympia
    Ratings: +180 / 1

Nate, what about the other 5 days? Buahahahahaha
  4. NateTreat Banned or Parked

Lynnwood, Washington
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    My wife wants me home every once in a while. She needs me to cook for her.
  5. Chris Brittin Johnson Fly Flinging Fanatic

Rochester WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Jeeze. First I though I was deprived. Now I feel blessed. Haha. I'm lookin forward to try different rivers. Tomorrow will be my first trip to the Wynoonchee.

Now the question is what's the next rod to buy. Switch or Spey... I feel another discussion coming. Haha
  6. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +986 / 0
    which brand cooler do you use that keeps 4 bonked native steelhead cold?
    BASS_TURDS and troutdopemagic like this.
  7. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +879 / 0
    Fish Lake's also the place to go! I'm the only guy out on the ice without a Russian accent, except my buddy Jan, who's Czech. Unfortunately for the Russkies, Ya gavaru nimnozhna pa Russkiy... It's always fun to tell `em to get stuffed-in Russian-when they start yammering about me.
  8. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +879 / 0
    I'd go for a Spey-Cabela's has that TCI on sale right now for $150 in 7 and 8-wt.
  9. Chris Brittin Johnson Fly Flinging Fanatic

Rochester WA
    Well my first attempt at the Wynoonchee was a great experience. Talked to a few guys that were willing to help me find some good bank access. I took full advantage of the river being down and crossed a few times. Had a great day overall but no fish. I fished a few holes hard and covered a lot of ground. I'm thinking a pontoon boat would be a great thing to own for a river like that.

I would also think having two rods ready to go would be nice. One like a long switch or short Spey for swinging. And the other maybe a switch or single hand, set up with nymph.
  10. Jon Brengan flyfishing addict

Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
    If it was me, I'd try the Satsop too. I've had good luck there in the past. I have one of those Delorme road maps, I just looked on there and found some good access points. That river's is fairly close to you - a couple hours drive if that. I started at the boat launch by the hwy 12 bridge, also drove up to the State Park, fished around there some, found some pull outs along the roads. Basically looked for where the crowds were, but since I didn't want to fish with them - I branched out and found some good water. It just takes some poking around. Good luck to ya!
    JB
  11. Chris Brittin Johnson Fly Flinging Fanatic

Rochester WA
    I wanted to drive up the Satsup but had to get going back home. Yea both rivers are about an hour from me. Looks like I will be spendy a lot of my winter up there!