Fishing Pass Lake in the wind

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Jay C, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Jay C

Jay C Active Member

I was planning on hitting Pass on Saturday, but with SE gale force winds predicted in the San Juans - how much of that wind actually effects Pass? I will probably wuss out and go Sunday instead.

2. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

I fished pass today and it was windy, but not too bad until around 11:00 or so then it really started to swirl, two fish no other bites, left at noon.

3. Jay C

Jay C Active Member

Thanks for the report, I'm gearing up for tomorrow.

4. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    10 to about noon should be best tomorrow, and also first hour of light. It's starting to pick up with this warmer weather and there should be a lot more food in the water next couple of weeks or so. A few small midges but they'll get busy any time now.

5. Skyler Evans

Skyler Evans Active Member

i fished pass on Sat as well i was in the white raft and mostly stayed in the cove, no fish to hand but i had one bit, my uncle and i left a little after the main group of people got out of the water. the wind really picked up on sat around 12 we left at 1. How did sunday go? when i left my uncles house it was raining pretty good.

6. Jay C

Jay C Active Member

Sunday was slow for me, I'm still trying to figure that lake out. It was flat calm, which was nice. I did not see much in the way of shucks on the surface. Not many people on the lake, the one fellow I talked to was not having much luck either. There were the occasional risers on the surface. There is alaways next time.

7. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Jay
    Thanks for the report and glad you got out.
    Pass kicked my butt a number of times when I first started fishing it. It still does some days.
    Sorry I missed your call. I'll give you a ring soon and we'll catch up.
    Brian

8. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

Hey Guys,

I fished Pass today. Very slow for me. I was the first one on the water. Ended up with only one fish at the far end on an olive pumpkin balanced leech.

I tried everything today, but could not connect. Chironomids, etc.

I did see a pontoon on the water when I left at three PM that looked suspiciously like Ford Fender's on the cover of his book. It was working the road side shore heading for the NW corner, working the shore very suspiciously like Tim outlines in his book. If it indeed was a day at the office we should hear later on how he did.

So far I haven't been able to connect on the simi seal leech. I will make it work soon, I hope. It has always been good to me on the troll at the far end, but so far this year a total bust in three outings.

9. Jay C

Jay C Active Member

Hey Mark - Your report sounds similar to mine. I tried simi seal leeches, chironomids, mini leeches, buggers. intermediate line, full sink line, cast, troll. Maybe I'm changing things up too often - I don't know.
    Brian - I just called to BS, nothing urgent.

10. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    Ha, wish I had been at the office but I spent today at the salt mine. Pass fished ok over the weekend but can still be a little tricky since spring midges haven't quite sprung up.

BTW that's not me on the front of the book. Michael Bennett makes for a more handsome picture than I do. The cover shot was the last thing we did before release so I couldn't add his name in time.

11. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

Tim, I should have realized that was not you over there, the guy got on the water way too late in the day. :)