Fishing related Political Question: Sarah Palin and Pebble mine?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by herl, Sep 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

Media:
    What the heck, She's HOT and She Fly Fishes, That's enough for me, she has my vote.

2. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    1) Her official position is "Let the permitting process work" in other words she thinks our completely inadequate environmental protection process somehow works. Of course the environmental standards were weakened by the former governor specifically to allow the pebble project to take place. Also she came out against the clean water initiative that would have stopped pebble mine (inappropriately, govt. officials are not suppose to take positions on ballot measures). This really shows her character, her family has been setnetting on one of the would be affected rivers for 3 generations, of course she doesn't care because its not politically viable.

2) Yes, she could suggest and support legislation to increase mineral taxes on state land for comercial mines (royalties are about 1.5% right now for hard rock mines, compared to 24% of profits for oil). Also she could support the creation of Jay Hammond State Park which would limit mining to small scale recreational mining. Furthermore she could strengthen environmental regulations that were degraded under Murkowski. As far as if she was VP there is a lot of BLM land in the area which could be developed, again she could suggest legislation to update the mining laws of the 1800s but that's about it.

3) I didn't vote for her in part because of the pebble issue but mostly because she was and still is unqualified to be governor, among other things.

3. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    She might fly fish in our states definition, make no mistake she's a bait lady who probably kills rainbows.

4. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

Media:
    OK, she's not perfect, but here is the real issue, conservatives should hands down own the conservation issue. I am unwilling to be a single issue voter, EVER. I remember Jimmy Carter very well (another fly fishing pol) and history demonstrates that larger bureaucracies and bigger government lead to failing economies, period. We obviously have to hold these peoples feet to the fire but government will never be the answer. Development of natural resources, including oil exploration and mining are critical to every aspect of life. You need look no farther than the tools of our trade, the petro resins in the graphite of your G Loomis rod, the aluminum or titanium in your Hardy reel, and the nickel of your fancy reel seat if you are that lucky.

If these mining companies break the well crafted, enforceable environmental laws we already have then put the executives a.ses in jail.

5. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Jail time and fines mean Nothing!!! If an entire watershed is Destroyed FOREVER!!!!!!!
    Look at all the Failed Mines that you and I are paying to clean up! This will be another example of that...

I will assume that you would like to drill in ANWR as the solution to our energy crisis!!!

6. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

Media:
    I will assume that you would like to drill in ANWR as the solution to our energy crisis!!![/QUOTE]

Not THE solution, but A solution. Everything we use in our sport is dependent upon petro-chemicals and mined metals, and it is naive to ignore that. These resources can be developed responsibly and we have a responsibility to lead the way.

Or, we can continue to allow other nations, out of our view, to rape their landscape so we can have our toys on demand. Oh yeah, can anyone out there teach me how to weave a horse hair WF 8wt. line ?

7. Brett Angel

Brett Angel Member

Media:
    Profits from illegal/irrisponsible mining are far greater than the fines & remediation costs.

Smoke & mirrors!

8. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

Media:
    Bait or no bait I'd still fish with her. By the way, exactly what species of dead fish is that in your profile picture?

9. fullerfly

fullerfly Calvin Fuller

Media:
    If you don't have a place to fish why would you need to make a line out of horse hair? There are just some places where these things should not happen. Pebble is a perfect example.

10. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

Media:
    Fair point and well taken. I don't live there and haven't been to that part of Alaska, however I just want to make the point that the "not in my back yard" mentality is childish hypocrisy. Maybe we could take the tens of millions of dollars that will be spent permitting and in law suits and use that money to incentivise clean mining technologies? Kinda like clean fuel technologies.

11. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    Good to hear an Alaskan anglers perception on the issue.

12. Scott Keith

Scott Keith Member

Media:

Nick, you don't have kids do you? Kids, especially 17 year olds will do what they want to do. We as parents can only do our best to guide them and help them get back up if they fall.

Scott

13. NorthForkTom

NorthForkTom New Member

WOW....Shoulda never opened this thread.....but here's MY two cents...I would much rather have a true defender of this country than a pretender....

14. Nick Andrews

Nick Andrews New Member

Media:
    No, but my wife is 9 months pregnant. I will support my children no matter what as that is what unconditional love entails. Though a person running for the Vice Presidents ability to guide her children is a reflexion on her ability to lead the country, especially give her stance on certain issues.

15. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    One thing that I like about these threads is that I can learn who never to fish with. My time on the water is too precious to be shared with just anyone.

Lowell hit a dinger 1-0,
    cds

16. Nick Andrews

Nick Andrews New Member

Media:
    My best friends are guys I completely disagree with on almost every issue.

17. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

Media:
    i just find it very amusing to compare conservatives comments regarding lindsay spears pregnancy and her mother's parenting skills to the same conservatives comments regarding bristol palins pregnancy and her mother's parenting skills. having raised two daughters i can tell you that you're lucky and should be grateful if they don't get pregnant. it's a tough 3-4 years for parents. the whole thing shows how blind some people are to their prejudices.

as far as who is elected i think we will be better off either way. what is important is that government is forced to function for a change. the problems we face right now must be dealt with during the next 4 years- must be- the time when we can tolerate bickering has to end. we are about to reap the consequences of processes begun decades ago and its gonna be ugly. if government can't function somehow it will not just be ugly it will be deadly. either of these candidates look to be the best we've had to choose from for a long time.

18. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    Nick,

That's fair but I suspect that they can formulate an argument better than My guy is... (insert positive adjetive). The other guy is (insert negative adjective).

I have one real good friend at work who does not share my views on many political things but he is smarter than a caveman.

1-0 Sox,
    cds

19. Jack Murphy

Jack Murphy Member

Media:
    So if a politician believed in creationism and was an ardent protector or native fisheries you would vote against him/her?

20. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

So....the neo cons want us to re-elect the party who drove us into the ditch, now they can get us out?
    Not for me....
    I'm pissed about the 500 billion to 3 trillion price tag of the war in Arabastan, think of what that would have done here.
    If you want a war let's pay for it, like in WWII. Everyone sacrificed, not only the soldiers.
    I resent the current occupant's theory of waging a war that defers costs to my grandkids.
    John McCain, the agent of change? yea...............right!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.