Fishing related Political Question: Sarah Palin and Pebble mine?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by herl, Sep 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +521 / 0
    Mr. Murphy,

When I see that animal I'll study it. I haven't ever seen that on the political stage. I was referring to her grasp of science in relation to religion. In my experience, those that are strict creationists make scientific decisions based on the Bible rather than science. If she had ever shown herself to be different I would posssibly view her in a different light. I have seen nothing to suggest her policies are more informed by science than by religion, hence my James Watt reference.
    Along the same lines you'll notice my reference to the 1st amendment, seperation of church and state/ freedom of speech (think books/ libraries!). I think you see my issue here.

5-0 sox top 6,
    cds
  2. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +699 / 2
    She's a GILF! Definitely :thumb::thumb:
  3. Scott Keith Member

Arlington, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Really? I'd go fish with Hillary, John, or Barack. There are plenty of other things to talk about then politics. I don't care if someone has differing political or religous views then I do as long as they have made an informed decision and are respectful about differences.

Scott
  4. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Mr. Keith,
    C&P ffrom above:

That's fair but I suspect that they can formulate an argument better than My guy is... (insert positive adjetive). The other guy is (insert negative adjective).

I have one real good friend at work who does not share my views on many political things but he is smarter than a caveman.

7-0 Sox (9th),
    cds
  5. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    2.5 out charles...
  6. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Up 6 in the wild card.

Pedrioa for MVP,
    cds
  7. UptheCreek Member

Spokane, WA
    Just so you know Charles, evolution is as real as bigfoot........hopefully you don't make decisions on that.
  8. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,324 / 9
    Charles, let's fish. I have no idea what you are talking to most of the time and you are probably wrong most of the time and of coures that makes me right a few more times than you. Not that I'm keeping score of our conversations or anything...but you do keep a killer score line on the beloved sox, so I'd fish with you anytime. (and I'm kidding about the stuff in sentence two...except the sox part)
  9. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,324 / 9
    I could not fish with Hillary, she just seems to have an abrasive personality that I'd prefer to slap in the ass rather than slap on the back. I'm sure she has good qualities, as everyone does, but I'll pass on the day fishing with her. I don't know if I want to fish with John either because watching him cast with his limited shoulder mobility would probably make me feel sorry for the old man. Barack has a cool radio voice and likely would be entertaining as hell if he hooked into one, that alone would be worth the trip...so long as the video tape was running.

Now we are off politics and onto evolution? Evolution is real...none of us are the geeks we were in middle or high school...or at least I'm not. Evoloution is too broad a topic not to be real. Bigfoot, now the jury is still out on that one. I've spent a lot of time in the back country and I've never run into him yet.

This thread started with an interesting topic and has run wild. It is like a train wreck and I can't pull myself away.
  10. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Up the creek,

If you believe in creationism and not in evolution then.... that's how you do it. I will likely not vote for you. No big deal there, as I don't think you feed your family based on who'll vote for you.
    As far as the bigfoot thing... nice paper tiger argument but...I make my decisions on science and I don't agree that bigfoot = evolution. If you do, then i can't argue with you as you will argue faith and I'll argue science; hence neither of us will win and we'll probably both have a raised blood pressure. No one wins there.

2.5 out,
    cds
  11. Mark Moore Just a Member

Vancouver, Wa.
    Ratings: +64 / 0
    Would you vote for someone who believes that evolution is is real AND that creation took place. It is impossible to deny the fossil record but I also find it impossible to deny an intelligent Creator. The first question I'm going to ask God after I get to heaven is who really killed JFK, and the second question is going to be why do these crazy fish come back to the same rock where they were born, to spawn?
    As far as the whole Bigfoot thing, I'm pretty sure I've seen him more than once, it is always at dusk when I'm alone trying to climb out of some canyon in the middle of nowhere
    Late start for the Kalama today, Go Tigers!
  12. gt Active Member

sequim, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0

i am sure you know that your true defender has voted against each and every bill introduced to help the men and women in the armed forces. such things as armored humvees; improved flack jackets; health care benefits; psychological assistance for returning troups..................

the true defender title does not belong on the ancient one, he has demonstrated, in spades, that it does not fit him, not even close.

i also appreciate hearing from an alaskan regarding perceptions up north regarding ms palin, thanks for that. we all need to focus our attention on the issues, and the pebble mine is one of thiem, and totally away from the prersonalities. after all when you have nothing to offer and 8 long painful failed years, you naturally want to jump on the personality bandwagon. but, it's the issues that make or break this country and until or unless the ancient one and ms palin are willing to be forthcoming, they will never have my vote.

and for the record, there are hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of citizens, who only vote on the basis of 2 things: no abortions and don't touch my guns.
  13. Tony Mull Member

Lake Stevens, WA, USA.
    bush has spent lots of money on this war he just hasn't spent it on our soldiers. it's hard to believe that mccain would go along with that - but he has.
  14. Scott Keith Member

Arlington, WA

Hahaha... point well taken. In all honesty I probably would never fish with Hillary either, but it would be interesting to see if her private persona is as abrasive as she is in public. I'm sure McCain would have problems fly fishing...
  15. Scott Keith Member

Arlington, WA

Do you have some bill numbers to go along with that? I've looked up his voting records and haven't seen that or are you just taking the information from what someone else told you?

Scott
  16. nb_ken Member

North Bend, WA, USA.
    Since you asked, here are a handfull. The links take you to the US Senate web site. Now that we've got you started, do a little research on your own and get back to us.

To create a reserve fund to allow for an increase in Veterans' medical care by $1.8 billion by eliminating abusive tax loopholes. McCain: Nay

To increase Veterans medical services funding by $1.5 billion in FY 2007 to be paid for by closing corporate tax loopholes. McCain: Nay

To provide an additional $430,000,000 for the Department of Veteran Affairs for Medical Services for outpatient care and treatment for veterans. McCain: Nay

To provide, with an offset, $20,000,000 for the Department of Veterans Affairs for Medical Facilities. McCain: Nay
  17. nb_ken Member

North Bend, WA, USA.
    I don't know how to break this to you gently, so I'll just be blunt.

-- You will never go fishing with Hillary.
    -- You will never have a beer with John McCain.
    -- You will never go moose hunting with Sarah Palin or snowmobiling with her husband.
    -- You will never go body surfing with Barak Obama.

You should probably take these off your list of reasons for voting one way or another.

What is it with having to see yourself or your friends in the candidate you vote for? I like to think that I'm a pretty nice guy, a good, middle-class family man and a half-way-decent fly fisherman. None of that qualifies me to be POTUS. I've been fishing with some members of this board, and someday maybe I'll fish with others. But if I ever do run for president, you have my permission to ignore that fact when casting your ballot.
  18. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,224 / 0
    You got my vote right there!

K
  19. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +55 / 0
    Ken had me at POTUS. Didn't even know there was such a list. Actually, met Ken out on the salt. Because I met ken out on the salt, he now speaks for me and my vote. BTW my daughter says hi.
  20. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,572 / 0
    The proposed Pebble Mine is a typical cyanide heap leach mine. This is good to know. The reason is because, as far as I've been able to find, there is not one example, NOT ONE, of these mines that has ever failed to contaminate its surrounding environment and waterways with cyanide and heavy metals. This type of mine has a perfect record of always contaminating the environment.

Ms. Palin says she will wait for the company's formal proposal in its application, and for the state of Alaska's environmental regulations to protect the environment. Either Palin is being disingenuous or keeping herself deliberately ignorant of what Pebble Mine will do to Alaska's environment. Either seems like a politically expedient strategy so that she can claim she never supported environmental contamination, at least directly or knowingly.

Palin may be a MILF soon to be GILF, but that's insufficient reason to vote for or against someone. It won't matter to me; I'm not voting for McCain anyway. I used to like him more. But he's completely two-faced on military matters: support the wars, but don't support the troops. It's like he believes that the way to support the troops is to put a yellow ribbon on your car or truck instead of providing essential military materials and services to troops. Having just read this morning that Palin attempted censorship of the Wasilla Library when she became mayor there is just one more strike against the GOP team. Censorship, another traditional Republican value. It's always puzzled me that the GOP supports the 2nd Amendment so well, but always at the expense of the 1st. The upshot is that I don't see Palin as an asset to McCain's ticket, but I can see how she will be perceived as one by many Republicans who adhere to pro-censorship, anti-abortion, anti-evolution, yellow ribbon lip service to the military, and environmental degradation values.

Sg
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.