Fishing related Political Question: Sarah Palin and Pebble mine?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by herl, Sep 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

nb_ken, I never said I WANTED to or EXPECTED to do any of the above. I also would not temper my voting choices on any of the above either. Those recreational items would truly not sway me one way or another to cast my ballot in any one's favor over another.

I have however stood within feet of McCain, and over a few years had the occasion to stand nearby other members of congress. Sometimes representing sailors from my unit, sometimes armed and augmenting their traveling security detachments. Thus far, none of those politicians have impressed me as being "one of us middle class family men or women". When you run I'll gladly study your platform and make my choices, even if we have never fished.

2. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

All but one of these are Democratic AMENDMENTS,not bills, usually designed to get the exact result achieved here, which is to give the rank and file something negative to hang their hat on. McCain has been an ardent supporter of our troops, it takes real courage to vote against a high profile, wasteful, contrived, amendment "for the troops" (''For the children" sound familiar?) on the basis of conviction. Just for the record, while John McCain was in a North Vietnam hellhole getting his arms broken so he couldn't fly fish (or salute his Flag) Joe Biden, a star high school athlete, was taking 5 deferments because he suddenly developed a case of asthma. My grandfather used to work for THAT pretender, thank God I don't live in Delaware anymore.
    Tons of fish in the Kalama today, floated for 8 hours, only saw 1 fish caught.

3. I'd like to know Palin's position on large scale logging in the Tongass National Forest (SE Alaska). Here's a place where the feds and state keep pushing subsidized clearcutting just to create a few jobs. The logging has a real negative impact on non-subsidized, sustainable jobs in eco-tourism, guided fishing and commercial fishing. If she's really against corporate welfare and if she's prepared to fight the party establishment in favor of sportfishing interests I hope she's opposed to wholesale logging in the Tongass.

[​IMG]

4. Gorgefly

Gorgefly Member

Don't get me wrong....I'm all about protecting our national resources but not at the expense of our national security. Rivers, streams and trees don't hold up too well to nuclear weapons and as passionate as I am about fly fishing the safety of my family is more important.

McCain might be a bigger risk for our fisheries but if you think Obama is going to do a better job keeping our country safe...well, keep guzzling that cool aid pal.

5. gt

gt Active Member

my dad was a fighter pilot, WWII, korea, cuban crisis, flight instructor and all around cowboy in any machine he could get his hands on to fly. shot down 7 times but had the presence of mind to stay with his ship until he cleared enemy lines. if he were alive today, he would be in his full dress uniform, ribbons from the lapel to the top button, standing up on his soap box telling everyone that senator mccain is just another soilder who did his duty. he would also point out that he came back from killing people with psychological issues, same as the senator. of course we now have a name for this, PTSD.

he would be telling everyone that because of his unstable inner workings, and those of the good senator, he would never vote to place this country in the danger of having a PTSD president with his finger on the nuke button.

he would also be pointing out that nuclear war is no longer the issue, it is the destabalization of varoius governments we have promoted which has lead to the unprecidented rise in jihadists, worldwide. that is the threat and mr mccain is clueless regarding this as well as a ton of other details that his addled brain can no longer comprehend. put him out to pasture, it will do the world a great deal of good.

6. nb_ken

nb_ken Member

You seem to be a legislative scholar. Maybe you can give us some insight into John McCain's thinking when casting votes on the full bills. What, in the text of the full bills, made him say, "Sorry soldiers, I know funding for outpatient care would help you out, but it would be philosophically and/or fiscally irresponsible for me to vote for this bill because it includes _________. I'll take care of you another time."

Maybe you can help fill in that blank for us.

And, in the interest of intellectual honesty, I assume you put partisan politics aside and voted for John Kerry last time. Given the choice between a veteran who got his ass shot up (literally) and a ticket including a VP who got 5 deferments because he "had other priorities," I'm sure you went with your conscience and voted for the man who put his life aside and volunteered to serve his country on the battlefield. Correct?

7. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Your Father was a wise man! iagree

Vietnam Vet

8. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

Not everyone who comes home from war suffers the same fate. George Washington, Andrew Jackson (having sent most of my adult life in Nashville I can attest he very well may have been a little nuts but it was more about a woman than his war experience), Teddy Roosevelt, and that Icon of the left John F. Kennedy (who BTW was a true fiscal conservative) all come to mind. I seem to remember learning in Jr.High that Mr. Kennedy did a half decent job with some messy business in the Caribbean that involved the aforementioned, albeit now irrelevant, nuclear weapons. Some events in ones life are so pivotal that they tend to develop incredible personal character or destroy you, I tend to think 5 1/2 years in a POW cell wouldn't produce a slow burn.
    The unprecedented rise in jihadists to which you refer can be traced to two specific events, Jimmy Carter deposing the Shaw of Iran and allowing the Ayatollahs to seize control, and, Much to my chagrin, our response,or lack thereof, to the bombing of the US Marine barracks in Lebanon. Ronald Regan is a hero of mine but in this circumstance he disappointed me, I for one think that may have been a circumstance where the use of those aforementioned irrelevant nuclear weapons may have been put to good use. Pretty sure I won't get your vote if I ever run for political office, huh.
    BTW exactly at what age does ones mind become addled? I'm guessing somewhere between 66 and 73. Being 46 years old I want to get in all the fishing I possibly can before that dreadful day.
    Please tell your dad thank you for protecting my freedom and thank you for the sacrifice your family made.:thumb:

9. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

Not sure if the requested quote is in the record or not (I'll Look), however McCains' record on voting against wasteful spending is pretty well established. Somewhere around 88%. My only child, my son, is in the US Army, and I certainly want the very best care for our service members. But creating another welfare state for the military isn't the way to do it.

And in interest of intellectual honesty, No I didn't vote for a guy who, after coming to conclusion that he couldn't avoid the draft any longer joined the Navy and then wrote his own commendation for digging a splinter out of his ass. As far as voting for a VP who got 5 deferments, if staying alive because of heart problems diagnosed a adolescent constitutes other priorities so be it.:beer1:

10. doug rose

doug rose Member

I have a question: Do the folks who make insulting and false statements about politicians and other individuals that some of the members of this board respect really expect us to, then, happily answer questions about the purpose of this site--fly fishing--when we are fully aware that they too will be able to use this information?

11. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

12. beeen to france lately ?

13. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

Not lately, '98 I think, maybe they are beginning to see the light with Sarkozy. Speaking of which, there is another hot woman close to a nuclear button. How's the fishing there?

14. gt

gt Active Member

fyrwood, EVERY single human being i know from WWII through 'nam who was directly involved with killing other people, is psychologically screwed up. those who were pushing paper in all of these conflicts, for the most part, came home intact. how do i know? 'cause i BTDT, that's how. being a part of a career military family i have come to know many, many outstanding human beings who willingly put up for their country and came home damaged.

jimmy carter did not invade iraq. jimmy carter is not responsible for the explosion in jihadists associate with bin laden, all across this world. only one 'team' of individuals did this to this country, and the clock is ticking until they are out to pasture. and keep in mind, we are in greater danger, right now, than we have ever been throughout history.

ammendments to bills is exactly how you deal with stone walling from the republics when you want to get something passed, it's a part of the legislative process. i suggest you look at who has stopped every attempt at moving our country forward including habitat protection, species protection, alternative sources of energy and so on. what you will find is that each of these ideas was put for by a democrat and each of these ammendments or bills was shot down by the republics.

the record is clear and if mr mcsame thinks he is the great reformer, we need to remind him that he needs to start with the party he represents who has put this country in the dumper. you know the all white, rich to mega rich, conservative christians who have been in control of the white house or the congress or both for 26 of the last 28 years. lest you forget, the republics ARE the insiders not the reformers.

P.S. if we do not discuss these problems, even on a fishing BB, there will be even FEWER fish to persue than there currently are. these political issues are critical to the survival of our nation, you, me, and every species remaining on this planet.

15. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

That's why we all get to vote. Don't misunderstand me I hate how some republicans have behaved, I just believe ON BALANCE conservatism is a better form of governance. I'm OK to agree to disagree, are you? If so we should fish (or drink) together sometime. :beer2:

16. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

GT is right on.

Fyrwood. If you think for a minute another republican administration with Sara Palin (Caribou Barbie) is going to protect our wildlife resources, you may be mistaken. Sara Palin is more right wing than Bush. The current administration has "trashed" our environmental laws and the protection of our natural resources, including manipulations of the EPA. I, for one, will not tolerate a government run by these criminals. Alaska citizens might need jobs (so does the rest of the country), but pollution from the Pebble Mine and ruining our fisheries is not the answer. The next time you are out fishing, step back, contemplate deeply, take a deep breath, and do what is right for the country (and our natural resources) and vote for someone that does not support Bush Policies 95% of the time... Look where it has brought us. It's been a crappy 8 years for the U.S.A. Good luck fishing!

Fly Fisher for Obama

17. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Nuclear warfare might very well be the best thing possible for the long term interest of our fisheries. The planet could use a serious reduction in the population of the human animal. Don't tell anyone I said that.

And since no one else has mentioned it, Obama probably won't be helping much to stop the pebble mine either. Granted his conservation vote record is better than McCain's. These assholes have everyone so convinced that they're going to be making monster changes against private interests and lobbies, but when it all boils down to it, they have so many corporate hands up their asses they make Goatse look normal.

Vote for change? Not in our fisheries, sadly. The most we can look for is a lesser of two evils.

18. gt

gt Active Member

yah know, there have been several presidental elections where this had made my choice. this time around, this country has a clear winner in the big "O".

the people of AK need to stop the pebble mine, that is where it must be played out. the federal administration may be able to step in, but it the peoples of AK who will have the big yeah or nay in this arguement. and keep in mind, the new employees of this operation with be coming from CANADA not AK.

19. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

He said Goatse :D :rofl:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.