Fishing Report.... Awesome day at Pass

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Chef, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Chef

Chef New Member

Today was just grand. Last night my fishing friend and I were bantering back and forth about going fishing so we decided on today. What a great day it was.

We decided to meet up at the lake at 11 am.... but I get a call at 7 am saying he is already on his way and of course, I got jelious... had to breath in and out a few times, pulled up the covers and kept warm. Then the itch started and I got ready, loaded up and out the door. Got there around 9 or so.

The weather was great but wind was blowing a lot. But rowing wasent bad at all. I decided to try out my new sage rod (see... I had this rod for about 4 months or so but was too peranoid to try it with my pontoon fearing that I would loose it). What a damn awesome rod. I love it.

I left the boat launch and headed left. Started casting and retrieving. Got hung up on the bottom a lot. I think the type 6 is too much for me right now. Had a little trouble controling the pontoon in the wind. I need an anchor sometime or another.

I had no luck with this approach. Lets face it... I need more practise at it. I like to actually see how it is done (not just read it). Monkey see moneky do! :)

After about two hours my butt was sore (cushion I got didnt help much). I went into shore, stood up, had a cup of coffee and relaxed a little.

Then I headed out again. Changed flies, made the tippet longer and thinner and trolled slowly. At this point... no bites... no nothing. My friend was catching fish and I was a little jelious. He told me to switch over to his top seceret fly but I wanted to catch a fish on MY FLY THAT I TIED,

So as I was trolling..... BAM... a nice hit. I missed it. Trolled a little longer and again, nice bite. I LANDED IT. Awesome rainbow... on my fly I tied on my new sage 5 wt rod.

Freaking awesome. I was (and still am) on top of the world.

No other bites today. Didnt care really. Had a great time with friends. Still have tons to learn. Mainly how to control my boat and my line and how to read water.

Here is the picture. Its awesome!

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Freaking awesome report. Funny how one fish to some is a bad day but anyone who's paying attention knows that this one fish on the fly may well have opened the flood gates. Where are you fishing tomorrow? Well done, congratulations and thanks for sharing. The more you fish and the more fish you catch the less that seat will be a problem. Did you angle it yet?

3. Chef

Chef New Member

not yet. I get my new renegade tomorrow I hope so if I dont like the renegade, I will angle the seat.

I really do need to break down and buy the damn rod holder or make one. grrr.....

Not fishing tomorrow. I will hit lone, pass, and martha next week I hope.

4. Ed Call

Media:
    Go to Sportco in Fife or Outdoor Emporium in Seattle, get the Scotty rod holders. If your boat has room on the frame tubes for the tubing mounting brackets get those. If not, get the glue on patches...and make damn sure you know where you want to put them on...no interference with stripping aprons, oars, etc. Don't rush the full modfication of your rig, let it go forward one solid step at a time. The more you fish in it the more you will know exactly what you want.

5. Mark Horwath

Mark Horwath Member

Good for you chef keep it going I'll be there tomorrow.Nice looking fly! Merry "Christmas"

6. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yeah, nice fish and enthusiastic report, Now, about that fly.....tell us about that....looks interesting.

LB

7. powderglut

powderglut My Kind Of Wave

Nice job chef! It feels pretty dang good to catch fish on your own hand tied fly. And way to break in the Sage! Nice fish!

8. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Way to go Chef! U DA MAN!!
    That's a nice fish.

9. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    Chef good work out there + nice looking fly!

10. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Congrats.

(I've been following your posts re: the pontoon. I'll drop you a pm when I get ready to pick one up in the future.)

11. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    Chef, were you using fins to troll as well or oars only? With a good pair of fins (force fins or scuba fins in my case), I rarely use my oars to troll in my pontoon boat. With my fins, I can keep my rod and line in my hands at all time when trolling; this is a real advantage if you feel a light strike or if you want to quickly recast to a spot where you just missed a strike. If I want to adjust the direction of my trolling, my hands are free to adjust the line.

Sounds like a great day whatever the details of how you fished.

Steve

12. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Wow. Well you are hooked now.
    Great job, great report, and great that you got out.
    That fish looks like a real trophy. Nice fly too. I think a little time on the water and
    we will need to change your name to Master, and you can sit and pontificate on how it
    is done. Keep it up.

13. false cast

false cast Member

Congrats,Chef! Nothing feels beeter than sweet victory. I'll bet you're hooked!

14. Chef

Chef New Member

Papafish: The fly is a black wolly bugger. Black marabou for the take. Black chenile with red specs. weighted undernear and black saddle hackle.

It feels great.... still! :)

I plan to get a rod holder once I figure out the new pontoon. I hope the seat is easier on my rear end. :)

I was using force fins first half of the day. They were really getting in the way of my line when I was stripping. I dont have a stripping basket so I would just let the line fall in the water underneath me. When I went back into the boat launch, I took them off (funny thing.... when I went back in the water, I tried to paddle with me feet. lol).

The sage rod was awesome. The extra height it had really helped casting and the flex on it was perfect.

15. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    Sweet fish. Always nice to catch them on a fly you tied, that you selected for the conditions at hand. a stripping basket will help a lot with line managment - doesn't have to be anything fancy.

16. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

#1 - Get a stripping basket or an apron.

Congrats on the day!

MB

17. Ed Call

Media:
    Like Micro Brew says, get a stripping apron. If your boat does not have one, get one made for it. If that is not an immediate option, make one. Go buy a mesh laundry bag and find a way to stretch it out so that it sits over your lap and forward of your knees. Use this as your line management work surface and keep your line away from your fins, oars and all the other stuff that it can stick to or hang up on. Same will ring true for when you add the rod holders. That is a great place to catch your line, get it wrapped up and cause a missed fish or damaged line. Think sleek, smooth and out of the way of your fly line.

When do we get to read your next report and see a close up of that fly. I'm a believer that flies that cause a light bulb to come on when catching a fish (my dumb ass learns something) or brings a species first or largest to hand, well those flies get retired somewhere.

18. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Chef, I'm truly jealous, not about the fish, but the enthusiasm for the fish. I can only somewhat remember that level of excitement over one fish. Now I tend to think of the first fish as a relief, "Thank God I didn't get skunked!", rather than a, "OH YEAH".

Do not lose that feeling! Congrats and I'll pray that you will never be plagued with consistent 20 plus fish days that jade your experience and even if that does happen I'll hope that you never lose the one fish excitement.

Ira..

19. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Media:
    iagree

20. Chef

Chef New Member

I am in that weird stage of "I have no idea what I am doing" stage of learning. Still so much to learn.

Just going out there on the water and getting away from work is a success for me. I have always been too busy to do stuff for me and my sanity. Now.... I will make time. :)