Fishing Report.... Awesome day at Pass

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Chef, Dec 21, 2010.

1. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    Just my opinion, but I never use a stripping apron or basket with my pontoon. I don't want anything in front of me. I do remember some frustration during my early days in my pontoon boat. It seems that my line would find a way to wrap around any possible obstruction: the foot pegs, my legs, the oar locks, you name it. As I have gained more experience and comfort with fishing from my pontoon, I find myself wrapped up less (and frustrated with it less too). Some of that is because more of the control of my pontoon is automatic, meaning I can focus more of my attention on the rod and line. Windy days, as you described, are always a problem.

I agree Chef, your enthusiasm is great to read!!

Steve

2. Chris Banta

Chris Banta Member

chef, i feel your pain with not having the stripping basket. last week i forgot to bring my stripping basket for my float tube at pass lake, what a freaking nightmare. at one point i had to have my buddy kick over and untangle my line from around my fins and legs because im not flexible enough to untangle it.

3. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    iagree. I don't troll anymore, so I don't even wear fins. The more you use your toon the more you will get used to the little things. After about five minutes in the cool water, the pontoons usually lose enough air to slip the butt of my rod under the rear strap(reel up) of a pontoon. Good rod holder for changing flies and stuff, but wouldn't recommend doing this while trolling.

4. Chef

Chef New Member

I didn't know the toons lost air when they hit cold water. I kepy cursing myself thinking I didn't fill the darn toons all the way again. Lol

5. Islander

Islander Steve

Congrats on the Pass Lake bow. Let me know when and if you're fishing Lone next week. Maybe we can meet up.

6. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Ditto

Ira..

7. willburrrr2003

willburrrr2003 Member

Chef,

Congrats on the great report and nice fish pic :D I agree with the others that I would love a closer look at that fly ;) very inspirational post for me as I am still very new to the sport! Lone and pass lakes are on my list to fish, but have not been able to get out there just yet. Keep up the good work and tell us all about it :D

Regards,

Will R. Everett, WA.

8. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    They don't actually "lose" air. The air inside the bladder contracts as it gets cooler just as it expands when it gets warmer. I don't use a pump. Instead I have a 24" tube attached to the adapter and give a lung full when need. Comes in handy if your 'toon ever does actually develop a slow leak or something.

9. a_fors

a_fors Active Member

Chef, that is a great fish and a great fly on that lake. That is the lake that i love to fish, i used to get out there like 3 or 4 times a week when i lived over on that side of the mountains, now that i'm back at school i miss it! I've fished a fly like that many times at pass and its a great one in the winter, i've also put a small gold bead on it and that seems to help as well, i don't know what the heck the bead does for the fish but they seem to love it! also for the control of the boat just like people said fins are a must i figured that out after a couple trips, you can get some cheap ones at wholesale sports in burlington they're like 29 bucks or something like that!

10. Zane Wyll

Zane Wyll Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Fors I wonder where you had ran off to

11. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    WW. I would love any info on something like that.

12. a_fors

a_fors Active Member

I'm in fly fishing heaven i guess, at central...but i have yet to figure out the yak, but i've only been twice so i'm sure that it will take a while to get it figured out. owen left me some good pointers and spots to try, but its been really cold over here and the river has been frozen...i miss my streamers from fishing pass and hate the little size 20's i've got to use over here

13. Chef

Chef New Member

Are you at college? If so, when you coming home for a little break? Perhaps fishing then???? Lone is awesome.

14. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    Take this thing with you to Home Depot:
    [​IMG]
    Buy the appropriate tubing. It comes in ten foot lengths - so you get a lifetime supply. Cut it into whatever length you need.

15. a_fors

a_fors Active Member

yeah chef i'm at school and i dunno when i'll be back on the west side...i've still got some loose ends to tie up here with the trout at rocky ford and in the yakima river...they're a bunch of punks!

16. Chef

Chef New Member

lol... i know the feeling!