fishing report for July 4 and 10

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Shawn West, Jul 11, 2011.

  1. Shawn West

    Shawn West Active Member

    Both trips were to Spearfish Lake.

    July 4th - I got on the water about 0930. There was not much wind, so I tied a small popper to my 2wt and started casting towards the brush. I managed to get one strike in thirty minutes. It was not a large smallie, but it gave me a fairly good fight. I then switched to a beadhead Simiseal leech. It took me a little bit to figure out what the fish wanted, but when I did, fishing was pretty steady. I discovered that I got a lot more strikes if I let the fly sink without adding any extra movement to the fly. All I had to do was watch the end of my fly line. The line would take off to the left or right by about a foot or two when the smallies hit. I fished this way until the wind started to pick up.

    Most of the fish landed were in the 12" range. My largest was just over 16". I also managed to catch a 7" perch and 3 bluegills. The bluegills were staging right in front of my launch site. They appeared to be in a prespawn stage. There were a couple of nice sized gills, but they were not interested in what I was offering.

    The fishing slowed down when the wind picked up. I decided to switch to my 5wt with a sinking line. The fishing picked up again, but the bass preferred a very slooooooow retrieve. I finially got tired of fighting the wind and left the lake around 3pm. It had been a very good day on the water. I had landed 42 smallies as well as the perch and gills for the day. I took hwy14 back to Vancouver with the hope that maybe Rowland or Ashes would not be as windy...Yeah right!!!

    July 10 - I had spent the weekend in Boise. On the drive back, I stopped at the lake. The wind was blowing harder than what the weather report had showed, but I figured I would give it a try. This time I left the 2wt in its case. There was no way I could cast it with the gusting winds. I went with my 5wt with a full sink line. The fishing was slow at best. I managed to catch 9 smallies. Eight of them were less than 10". The lake decided to give me a gift before I left for home. I got a strike on my Simiseal leech and set the hook. It was obvious right away that this was not a 10" smallie. This fish had the tip of my rod dipping into the water. I ended up landing a 17" smallie. It was not the largest fish I had caught this year, but it definitely fought the hardest. I fished for another hour without so much as a little tug. It had already been a long day. It was time to head home.

    As a sidenote: the water temp was 68 degrees. I did not see the bluegills this time out. The water has risen about 6" in between these trips. I have flies to tie this weekend, but hope to make it out again the 23rd or 24th.

  2. Jay Burman

    Jay Burman Experienced Ne'r do well and Layabout.

    Great report. I'd like to give spearfish lake a try. Sounds like in worked pretty well for you. How are the weeds?
  3. Rob Allen

    Rob Allen Active Member

    try paddeling across to the culvert climbing over the railroad tracks and fishing the columbia there...
  4. Shawn West

    Shawn West Active Member

    The weeds are not really an issue right now. I would love to fish the Columbia there, but climbing over the railroad tracks is not an option for me. If I understand correctly, it is illegal to be walking/crossing the tracks. I see a lot of kids walking along the tracks, but I have also watched the Sheriff chase them down. I should probably look for some alternative access nearby. Jay, pm me if you decide to go to Spearfish. Maybe I can meet you out there.
  5. Jay Burman

    Jay Burman Experienced Ne'r do well and Layabout.

    Bugtyer, I would really like to give Spearfish a try. Maybe eary to mid-next week. I would let you know by PM but I'm not sure how to do that.
  6. Shawn West

    Shawn West Active Member

    Jay, click on the name of the person you want to pm. Select PM and type your message. It is that easy. BTW, I sent you a PM.