Fishing Shrimp Patterns For Sea Runs

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Will Atlas, May 18, 2005.

1. I have been fishing Sea Runs for about a year now, and I've had some success on poppers and streamers, but I still haven't figured out shrimp/euphosid patterns. I mean I can tie them pretty well I think, but I just dont know how to present them properly. Some people say dead drift others say stripped. Is it maybe a little like fishing a chironimid in fresh water? Some people have said these types of patters are their most effective. Also do you tend to catch smaller fish on these flies?
    Thanks, Will

2. Cascadekiller:

Very rarely do I dead drift fly patterns for SRC. Once in awhile I will dead drift/swing shrimp or baitfish patterns if the tidal current is strong. My style of fishing is to be either casting/stripping a fly or I get antsy to be doing something. Stripping your fly pattern is almost always going to be more successful than dead drifting it. Plus, you will get a better hook set and action to your pattern.

If you do want to dead drift a fly pattern on a floating line for SRC on Puget Sound, you might want to consider using a strike indicator. When schools of resident silvers are slowly sipping amphipods on the water surface, it is hard to determine when a fish has taken a dead drifted,small fly pattern unstead of a natural critter. It has worked well for me since I am just an old guy with bad eyes.

Roger

3. Coastal cutthroat are, like most predatory fish in the sea are oportunitic. They eat what is available. So you have to learn about the timing of hatches or swarms of zooplankton (euphausids, amphipods, cocapods, crab spawn, etc) and you have to learn about the habits of baitfish. For instance, we just had a huge sand lance hatch on the sand lance beaches around Puget Sound. Those were hot beaches for cutthroat and coho while it lasted. While it isn't rocket science, you may have to did deeper than a thread on a bulletin board. There is no way to make successful salt water fly fishing easy. It is a sport that requires a whole lot of research and practice; movement timing of fish throughout the sound; Stick with it.
    Good fishing,
    Les Johnson

4. Short, snappy strips on a fast retrieve have worked best for me. I've caught large fish on shrimp flies, including a five pound resident silver on a size 8 shrimp fly last August. They aren't just for small fish, but, like Les said, they work best when the naturals are available. The day I caught the fish mentioned, I was sitting off a floating mat of seaweed with a whole swarm of shrimp type critters underneath it. The fly of choice was easy...

Dane

5. Les,
    What the hell is a cocapod, some sort of kids' chocolate-flavored breakfast cereal?

6. Buckin' for "Editor" at the mag, are we Preston? :rofl: You must be thinking of "cocoapods." I'll hazard a guess that "cocapods" are something that clandestine Bolivian farmers produce, but I haven't had my morning coffee yet.
    :clown:

Jimbo

7. A good resource is the Washington Department of Ecology Shoreline website if you are interested in learning more about the beaches, including the flora and critters that live there. It seems almost made for the Puget Sound/Hood Canal fly fisher.
    Good Fishing,
    Les

8. I should keep my hands off of my keypad as well prior to morning coffee. I now that I should have written copepods. It just slipped past me.
    Good Fishing,
    Les

9. All in fun Les, I knew what you meant, I just can't help myself.