Fishing soft hackle flies in stillwater

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Olive bugger, May 23, 2012.

1. Just.Mark

Just.Mark Member

Hey mark what is that material you used on the body of that last fly? Exuse my ignorance but I am new to tieing. Some times I still can't believe fish are taking Flys that I tied.

2. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Red tungsten bead - light partridge soft hackle feather from a cape -
    shinny clear christmas tree tensil from a fabric store tied with white thread so it is light colored.

The picture is not good, that clear shinny body has depth that makes it look like you can see right in it! you can also change thread color to darken or turn it different colors from underneath. by it's self it has a light green-olive hue. tungston softy\'s 005.jpg THIS FLY SHOWS HOW CLEAR IT IS MUCH BETTER.

Attached Files:

Olive bugger likes this.
  3. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

Went out today with some olive/orange soft hackles, lots of interest, all pretty small.

IMGP0017.JPG

IMGP0019.JPG

4. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Nice fish - I like your net!

5. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

LOL, I said they liked orange and partridge. I didn't say they would all be big. Glad you got to fish them. Hope they serve you well.

6. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

lol im not complaining, i was surprised on the takes though. They really went after those things, I guess with the dragonfly's hatching right now they figured they were dragonfly nymphs.

7. Olive bugger

Who could know what goes through the mind of a fish, but if they were taking it hard, it tells me that they are taking it as something that looks good to eat. Softies could represent so many things. The bottom line is a fish on the other end of the leader.

8. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

I am heading over to eastern oregon again next week to fish a few lakes. last trip there was a tan and brown chironomid that the fish loved at thief valley res. and I only had like three flies to match the hatch with me, well fishing for a week and a half with very little flies took it's toll on the flies and on me!

So I tied some tan and brown in different colors so that I can change up on them and also tied some with soft hackle thorax's, over east some of these fish like a dubbed with legs look on they're mids so tied some up in different forms. I also tied some black and brown softies for mids and calibeatis hatch matching on a different lake. just thought I would share! I had not done many brown mids and ran into an epic hatch of them and was unprepared darn-it -NOT THIS TIME!
    boise la grande trip 087.jpg boise la grande trip 086.jpg

Normally I would tie very thin mids but this hatch had a very fat body and shorter then usual! the legs and thorax were tan and the body was brown with tan rib. hope the fish like them!

9. Olive bugger

Those bugs look right nice, Mark. I am betting that you will take quite a few. I hope so anyway. Looking forward to a report when you get back. Good luck and tight lines.