Fishing the Salt or Who's Got Nads?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by ceviche, Oct 19, 2002.

1. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    How come nobody talks much about fly fishing the salt? Like what's up with this? Is this some kind of taboo, or is that people can only imagine tossing off at narrowly defined pockets of water that can only hold fish? Is it that broad and blank expanses scares the bejeezus out of the average fly fisher? So what is the deal? I'd like to hear and learn from those who have the nads to wade out into the raging salt and fling stainless hooks into the froth for salmon and cutthroat. :THUMBSUP

2. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    Nads?
    Say isn't that the sticky stuff you see on those TV info-mercals, that hairy women use to RIP the hair outa' their flesh?
    Or could I be mistaken?
    LB :EEK

3. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
  4. MacRowdy

MacRowdy Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yup. I don't know anything about Nads but I got a Catfish and abalones and an Elephant. How about that? Does that count?

Ok so Yes, for me I like rivers because that is what I know. I think it would be SWEET if we had more salt/surf fishing talk on this forum but I have no experience with it whatsoever. So sorry can't help ya there.

So ceviche how about you drop some knowledge on us!?

MacRowdy :THUMBSUP :THUMBSUP :THUMBSUP

5. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Media:
    I'm no expert, but I have fished in the puget sound for SRC's and Salmon. It's a blast. The big water is intimidateing if you don't know how to target specific areas. At least for me. I guess I don't talk about it because I have to much fun in lakes and rivers. :DUNNO It's still fun though. :THUMBSUP YT

6. Dizane

Dizane Coast to Coast

Media:
    That's awesome that you're interested in fishing the salt. Most of my fly fishing is done in the salt since I have a cabin on Colvos Passage. Salt water fly fishing is definitely different than fishing rivers, but just as fun. Check the archives for posts about fishing the salt, or if you're really interested I'd suggest you check out "The Estuary Flyfisher" by Steve Raymond. If you have any questions just post them and someone on this forum will answer them.

7. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    WOW, cool web page! I heard that Silvers from the salt fight like Steelhead. I would love to fish the salt but looks like all the BIG fish are out there and and are only reachable by boat, also it looks like the water is piercing COLD!!!
    Maybe next spring/summer...
    "Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
    Matthew 4:19

8. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    Cold? No. The Sound varies between about 45 and 50F year around. The rivers are colder than that in the winter.

I fish the salt, but I was quite bummed by this years poor showing for silvers. bleah. But I still plan to try for cabezon, rockfish and lingcod this winter.

I am just putting together the finishing touches on some super dredging shooting heads for my 7 and 10 weight systems.

Rob
    ---------
    Genetic pollution damages wild
    stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!

9. kjackson

kjackson Banned or Parked

You really don't want to start fishing in the saltwater... it will change the way you look at fly fishing. In fact, it will change the way you look at trout. Searun cutts are unbelievable fish in the saltwater.

Saltwater fish are very aggressive and hard fighters. They run, jump and do their best to knock you down and beat you up. I've seen foot long searun make a pass at bait and jump five feet in the air. I've had 20-inch cutts chase a herring on the surface until they caught it at boatside. I've even had a couple turn and look at me like they wanted to see if they could fit me in their mouth.... well, almost.

The best part of searun is that they take flies fished on the surface, and even the big guys do it.

I can't speak much about salmon in the salt, that's what I'm working on now, but SRC's will make you forget about wimpy stream and lake trout.

The bad news is that you really do need a boat to get the most out of the sport. Yes, you can fish from the beach and do very well; however, you are quite limited and have to do a lot of research to find spots and identify the stage of the tide at which they fish best. A boat gives you the freedom to move around and find new water unaccessible to beach walkers. But you don't need to spend a lot of money on a boat. A simple skiff with a small outboard will give you the ability to do so much more than on foot that it's unbelievable. I could be very happy with a 14-foot aluminum boat with lots of beam and freeboard, an anchor, a set of oars and a 6hp kicker. A 16-foot boat with a 25hp would make me ecstatic.

But be careful-- one good day on the salt will change the way you look at fly fishing in Washington.

10. YAKIMA

YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Couldn't agree more.... For those who think Chums are agressive in rivers, try them in the salt. They will drag the boat around.... and Silvers, the ice you had for the beer will be on your arm after three or four good ones... Just wish you didnt have to clean up so intently when your done, if you didn't, I think more would do it. Nads ? nope, its more like who's got a cup on to protect yourself.

11. Bright Rivers

Bright Rivers Member

Media:
    I enjoy any fishing that involves a fly rod on one end and the potential for a fish on the other, be it salt, fresh, lake, river, warm, cold, etc. HOWEVER . . . there is something about a stream that stirs my soul like no other fishing can or ever has. I am drawn to rivers. I can't drive over a river without looking for a rise. A simple photograph of a Montana stream can mesmerize me for the better part of an hour on a cold January day at the office. I have done all kinds of fly fishing in many different places and I thorougly enjoy all of it. I don't think any type is better or more superior than the others. But for me, personally, nothing compares to fishing for trout in streams. But I'll join you in the salt any day.

db

"If I don't catch them today, I'll catch them another day." Art Flick

12. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Rivers vs Salt, Steelhead vs Tarpon. There is no comparison, two differnt species and environments. Rivers and their scenery are just plain Beautiful, main reason why I prefer Rivers. Even though I grew up surf salt fishing; well, I take that back. Ocean Surf fishing scenery is AWESOME! Crashing waves,seagulls,BIG rocks,miles of sand. Oh what the hell, I love them both! Kalaloch beach is my favorite, located by the Olympic Coast Hoh River area,etc.

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
    Matthew 4:19

13. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    just remember, throw 'em back

i love fishing. i love being outdoors. i love fishing while outdoors. if a body of water contains a population of fish that may possibly take my fly, i will fish for them.

i honestly cannot say what type of fishing is my favorite because frankly, i love them all. im a totaL fish bum. fish fish fish.

14. rockfish

rockfish Member

theres a few of us that wouldn't have it any other way

15. Prouse

Prouse Pete Rouse

Hey Rob-

I just purchased a kayak that will allow me to fish a lot more water, and I am interested to find out what kind of line set-up you use for dredging. I was thinking about getting one of the tungsten dredger heads from Rio, but if you have any alternative suggestion that you are willing to share I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Pete

16. Ted Jones

Ted Jones New Member

TED JONES, THE NEWBE

OK Skycries, I've grown up fishing the south sound, I know
    the area's to fish, GH,FI,Colvos,PD. And I have a new boat. I'm looking for fishing buddy's that are willing to help me with my fly fishing,and that can go sometimes during the week .So if you or anybody else are interested E-mail me . :THUMBSUP Ted

17. rockfish

rockfish Member

get a sinking line like teeny lines that are very durable and sink like a rocket. t 400 is a good line. if your fishin for bottom fish you will be fishing legdes, rockpiles, and rocky scapes that will cut your line up like shredded wheat. been doing it pretty regular since I got my first boat when I was about 18, now 24 and can yard up bottomfish with a flyrod with the best of them but I dont know who they are because I have never seen a flyfisherman dredging the sound around here ever. have seen more fly fisherman than ever this year thou in boats and on shore. like tight loops said the rocky areas spring to life in the winter time, water clarity is at a maximum visually, light is low, fish go shallower, sea weed disappears and kelp fronds turn to little structure mounts just above the bottom and the fish get territorial see a fly and go for it. been tieing some really weighted good sized shrimp patterns because the rockfish and the like are usually puking them up when caught. but catch and release is a good thing for these slow growing fish. larger fish are spawners and it takes them awhile to get to spawning size and people usually keep the big ones not knowing they should release them for spawning purposes but thanks for MPA's for keeping fertile spawning sites. man its almost noon what am I doing on the computer. see ya on the water Ben

on average 1 baby salmon is killed for every 15 herring shocked for sale in the south sound.

18. Mumbles24

Mumbles24 Guest

I have just learned some basic fly fishing and learned in the salt water. I have since focused on finding river fishing spots and even hiked up to some alpine lakes just to try lighter gear. I have to admit that having caught fish off the beaches, deeper from the boat, in the rivers, and in the alpine lakes that all of them get you going. Sure some fish fight harder, hold deeper, run faster, but they all have such a great ability to give you what you are looking for, a nice adreneline rush.

As for nads, the coldest water I've been in yet is the Skokomish river, pretty chilly, but I have more room in my waders for colder temps and hope to need another pair of thermals for steelhead fishing in a few months.

19. saltchuck

saltchuck New Member

I'm with you rockfish. Although I love most any kind of fly fishing, there's nothing quite like fishing the salt. You haven't lived until you've felt the power of a salmon in the ocean. With only one exception in my experience, they will fight pound for pound at least as well as any steelhead I've ever caught. The exception was a steelhead caught in the salt a couple of years ago in December off Bush Point........wow was that a hot fish! :EEK

20. Surf_Candy

Surf_Candy Member

Media:
    I'm a saltwater nut....simply since I lack the knowledge in fresh water and grew up having boats in saltwater (now boatless though....). The smell of the salt, whales, seals, otters and the sound of the waves soothes my soul. I used to think fishing at 250 feet deep was too shallow...

Recently caught some nice Dorado in Mexico...tough to come back and huddle in my waders wishing the silvers were like last summer.

Jim