Fishing the Salt or Who's Got Nads?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by ceviche, Oct 19, 2002.

1. rockfish

rockfish Member

I hear ya surf candy, salt water is king. how has the fishin been up there. been gettin any thing? was the steelie you hooked on dash point caught with a fly, if so do people catch alot of them up there. that would be one fishery that would be above all others, salt water steelhead. I can imagine a hot fish. later Ben

saltwater flyfishing in the northwest is a science as well as an art

2. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    being politically correct sucks

i heard bush point and fort casey are good steelheading if you hit it right. i geuss they travel in tight to shore and they often hit with only a few feet of line out. that would be something else.

~sean~

3. steve

steve New Member

I started fishing the salt last year. I'd never done it before and had no idea what I was doing, but I lucked into the heavy Pink run in aug and sept and had some of the best fishing of my life. I've heard people knock pink salmon, i've never actually caught one in the river, but I will tell you a 6 to 10 pound pink in the salt on a six weight is awesome. I was into my backing on many occasions. I also picked up a silver, some cabozones and a few kelp greenling as well. I'm still learning, and I'm limited to wading the beaches, but I'm definately hooked. Besides the great fighting fish, its a lot of fun to tie up big saltwater patterns and catch fish with them. My advice to anyone that wants to try the salt is to find a known spot for salmon or sea runs, find out when they are running, and give it a shot. It will open a whole new fly fishing world for you.

4. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Media:
    Home Page:
    Stainless steel hooks are unnecessary.

5. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Well, stainless is a nicety if you're a less than perfect caster. One tick on the rocks and anything other gives you back a sore casting arm for nothing.

To all those who have responded: Thanks and a big :THUMBSUP . Many wonderful responses! I'm looking forward to the next time I hit the salt again armed with all the wisdom and advice received from all. If I'm lucky I'll even have found a milk crate to stand on.

Tight Lines!

6. J Badgerman

J Badgerman New Member

Hey Ted I usually only work on wednessday and sleep till late on thursday. But I usually fish a good portion of the week. I live in Federal Way and travel to Olympia for work So I know the area okay. But If you wanna go rip some lips together I've been fly fishing for ten years. But most of that time was in Utah trout fishing. I am a little knew to the salmon and steelhead fishing but I still manage to catch a few. drop me a line and we'll flip some flies.