Fishing the salt

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by pwrbatrhatr, Feb 28, 2002.

1. pwrbatrhatr

pwrbatrhatr New Member

I'm new to this board, but not new to fly fishing. I moved to the west side a few years ago, but haven't had much luck with fishing... partially due to lack of time and two young children.

Anybody have tips for shore fishing in the salt that would keep a child intersted? I tried to take my daughter after smelt, but wasn't comfortable having her fish at Stuart's Dock. Local fresh water has been pretty slow for her activity level, not to mention giving her an education on rude and disrespectful people. She gets a kick out crabbing from some of the local piers. Some of the "odd" species (rock fish, flounder, surf perch, etc.) might be fun if I can hook them on a fly and let her reel them in.

If anyone is interested in non-traditional flyfishing species in Eastern Washington, drop me a line. I used to waste time catching catfish, bass, and crappie on flies... and still head for the hot weather a couple times each summer.

2. rockfish

rockfish Member

any saltwater fly on the bottom, wormish, shrimpish flie also work. sandy areas around docks provide fast action dredging the bottom with flies and a split for flounder, sixe 8-12 WHITE krystal flash shrimp with a tiny split shot 30 inches above the leader on 6 lb florocarbon leader will catch piling perch. if they start biting the splitshot and get spooked from it take it off. you'll catch 5 times more perch if you use shrimp scent like for sturgeon and steelies. even jetties\bulkheads along roads at high tide provide solitary fishing. at least here they do. if you catch rockfish from a dock or shore around the sound I'll be asking you for advise. it happens but not enough. a 5wt will work for all these fishing conditions. anything else. just ask, Ben

3. bekezela

bekezela Guest

Hi Ben I saw your article on fishing for pile perch. I have a 3 year old that is just starting to get into fishing. Can you describe the crystal flash shrimp for me, is it the same asthe pink shrimp in steve raymonds "estuary flyfisher" ? What other flies work well for flounder and what tides. Any more info you have would be great.
    Andrew

4. pwrbatrhatr

pwrbatrhatr New Member

Where can I find that article on pile perch?

I found a couple patterns for crystal flash shrimp by going to the flytying folder on the homepage. Check out flytiers index, or something like that. It has a great index of flies. The Karkeur Seyoufi link has some simple shrimp patterns and a nice picture :)

5. rockfish

rockfish Member

I have never seen the book estuary fly fisher before so I cant say if thats them. there made of nothing but white krystal flash. any other color I did not have any luck. for flatfish try a medium sized hook and have a 2 inck bunny strip (dark color) then white, rusty, red, hackle or mallard flanks( think thats what its called) and have them go back over the bunny hair half way. body wrapped in lead coil, amount varies to depth and current your fishing. 20 ft or less. or go to lead eyes and cones. bigger size on 1/0 4 inch bunny strip take cabezon and greenling regulary from my boat. any inshore bottomfish cant resist it. inch them over the bottom. get a miss, move it a foot then let it sink. there so stupid you'll lose them right at the surface they'll go strait back to your fly and take it. fast action none the less. have to start fly fishin soon got the gear bug the last couple of weeks. for bottom fish the incomoing tide is best . if its high in the evening or morning you got a good bite going. Ben