fishing the southern appalachian with the sparrow fiberglass

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by yuhina, Sep 17, 2012.

1. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    hey Friends!

Couple weeks ago, a good friend sent me this new sparrow fiberglass rod. A true beautiful built. 7'6 in length, 3/4 weight 3 pieces with white spigot ferrules. It has somewhat a interesting parabolic action, even bend all the way, stronger tip. Not a typical traditional fiberglass action. I can really feel the "rhythm" when bend deep and drive a powerful loop. below are some photos taken last weekend. It is a game of stalking 5 inch trout : ) great spirits in the forest. Mark
    [IMG]
    s1.5 by markyuhina, on Flickr
    [IMG]
    j6 by markyuhina, on Flickr

[IMG]
    j4 by markyuhina, on Flickr

[IMG]
    s2 by markyuhina, on Flickr

[IMG]
    s3 by markyuhina, on Flickr

[IMG]
    s1.1 by markyuhina, on Flickr

[IMG]
    s7 by markyuhina, on Flickr

[IMG]
    j3 by markyuhina, on Flickr

[IMG]
    s9 by markyuhina, on Flickr

[IMG]
    j1 by markyuhina, on Flickr
    Freestone likes this.
  2. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +215 / 1
    Nice post, Mark. That's a pretty area.
  3. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    Great Pic. The one of you cradling the little trout in your palm is perfect. That's what small stream fishing is all about. A few seconds of battle, a quick thank you, a pause in the palm of you hand and off he goes.
  4. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Thanks my friends,
    Much appreciated the kind words!!

thought some of you guys might like to see the rod in action, so I shot a casting video from fishing a mountain stream. One is Sparrow 3/4 7'6. really smooth and powerful rod. easy to make a pinpoint cast and fighting the afternoon wind. I line it with Airflo 5WF Ridge line. It was a wonderful casting machine.
    [IMG]
    s1 by markyuhina, on Flickr

The other rod below is a fiberglass rod from Japan, Kabuto 703. 3 weight 7'. This is a true sweet heart for the mountain creek. if you constant crawling between rocks and seeking for 5 feet accurate cast between trees and vines... This is the tool for casting the leader .

[IMG]
    k4 by markyuhina, on Flickr

Mark
  5. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +505 / 0
    Great photos Mark, looks like the sparrow is a sweet little rod...love the cigar grip and seat on it.

Mark
  6. mojo Member

Yewtah
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Nice comparison Mark. I like that Kabuto. Have you tried the F2 653 yet, and if so, how does it compare to either the Sparrow or Kabuto?

Alan
  7. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Hi Alan,

I did a short section on the F2. I think Scott make them a bit softer than the old F series. Regarding small creek 3 weight rods, the Kabuto action (progressive and even load to the butt section) is near "perfect" to my liking. I think Kabuto is a bit more crispier and more responsive than the Scott F2 IMO.