Fishing the stilly what am I doing Wrong

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Ryan Couch, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Hi everyone,

I am new to fly fishing and have tried fishing up to Boardman creek down to the Jordan bridge just outside of granite falls I have used wollybuggers and Elk hair caddis and stimmulaters on the top of the water also under water slow and fast retrieve I can see all kinds of bug life in the water with what also looks like bass fry maybe near the banks they are little green with spots fry near the rocks so looks like good fish water. Any help?

2. Punctuation might get you more responses. Just a suggestion...

3. What shape is the water in. Is it high and really moving down hill. Or is it slow moving. Is it murky or is it clear.

Just going and fishing it without knowing about it. It's hard to offer any help.

4. The water is low really clear moving at a good pace, the river has been going down everyday about 3 to 4 in of bank is more exposed everyday. Lots of bug life in and out of water.

5. When I lived in Washington state I used to wait until the river dropped into shape.Some years it was early and some years not so early. I believe that this is one of those not so early years. Still lots of snow high up. Try the river abut mid July or the first of August. Same flies

Also the river is easy to wade upstream of Boardman Creek. If you are of strong body, give Boardman Creek a try. You have to hike up a ways but fishing improves the farther you get from the mouth.

6. I tried to hike up boardman logs are everywhere, and cant hike at all up it deep deep pools with logs blocking the path. Would need to chop a trail along side of it to gain any access but will give the river till then and try some more. Oh and the creek is flowing hard right now makes wading a pain and I am of strong body but need a different attack approach to gain access to boardman.

7. Those deep pools are where the fish are at. I didn't say it would be easy. If it were easy everybody would be in there fishing. I've seen some big fish come out of that creek. To be on the safe side I would give it a few weeks for the river to come down to safe wading levels.

8. Ya that's what I was thinking because I would have to swim to make it further then when I turned around. I will make my own path up the creek.

9. No worries Ryan, you are not the only one facing tough conditions.

High water levels give more options for the fish to hide. You could wait for the water levels to go down which in turn makes wading easier.

The small fish you saw were either salmon or steelhead smolts.

10. Oh cool didn't know what kind of fish they where but that is awesome

11. Sadly the SF Stilly is not what it used to be. not sure they even put summer runs in it anymore.
    salmon runs are way down. river has seen a lot of silt & bank slides over the years. winter runs are way down too. not sure if searuns are rebounding there yet ? resident cutts and maybe some bull trout are the only thing left? not sure. i gave up on that river a while ago. who knows. hike it and find out.

12. Over the next couple weeks you should see the flows drop substantially and the fishing improving as the flows drop. As others have mentioned not the greatest fishing location but that said you should be able to find enough "trout" to entertain you. On the upper South Fork (above Granite Falls he most common will be rainbows (mixture of juvenile steelhead and resident rainbows) along with a few resident cutthroat and the odd brook trout. The upper river is still the home of wild steelhead (nearly all summer fish that are naturalized hatchery fish) though like steelhead throughout the region their numbers are not what they once were. There is also a few bull trout and Chinook as well as decent numbers of coho that make their way into the upper river but fishing for those is closed.

The resident trout tend to be small though a few will exceed 12 inches. Below Granite Falls in addition to the usual salmon and steelhead there are fewer resident trout (nearly all rainbows) but they can be larger as well as sea-run cutthroat.

Curt

13. One thing that worked for me up by Oso was a big hare's ear tied with my blonde cocker spaniel's fur. Looked like a big stonefly nymph. I had it on thru 4 casts and had 4 fish on. The 4th kept the fly. At that point I noticed the stonefly shucks on the streamside rocks. I was skinny, had hair and my cocker that's been dead for close to 20 years was still alive. This should still work now if one wanted to walk the banks.

14. Hey old man. We are talking about the S/F not the N/F. Get with the program. And quit changing the subject.

15. Hey man I live right down the road from Jordan bridge. Shoot me a pm if you want me to take you out.

Kyle Smith and Jeff Dodd like this.