Fishing the White river?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Chris Selvar, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Chris Selvar Member

Kent
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    I always driven past the white river and wondered if the fishing would be any good? Havent found much information on the internet regarding the subject, so thought I would ask here, seems water clarity would be a serious issue?
  2. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    good luck that water is doo doo
  3. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,608 / 0
    Water clarity is a big issue from June to October and it's filled with glacial meltwater. What little info I have about the White is that the resident trout population is small, even while the salmon populations have rebounded due to the Muckleshoot hatchery and improved stream flows that resulted from retiring the PSE hydro project. Bull trout may be increasing in response to increased salmon abundance.

Sg
  4. Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Happy Hour, WA
    Ratings: +373 / 1
    Tough until the fall, but if you do hit it, use large black muddlers with heavy coneheads. Cast slightly upstream, let them sink as deep as possible and then just let 'em swing all the way parallel to the bank and strip them back to you. A sinktip is a good idea if you have one. Some decent bulls in there but not a numbers game. A good day would be one bull trout.
  5. kjsteelhead Member

Bellingham, Washington
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    I agree with Mingo,when it clears up in the fall, the White River is fishable for Bull Trout. Most of the small tributaries have decent populations of small cutthroat and/or rainbows and are fishable this time of year. The Greenwater gets pounded pretty hard, but most of the other creeks have some good dry fly action and some solitude.
  6. klintd Member

South Sound
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Interesting that the Greenwater gets pounded pretty hard since it has been closed water for the past four years. Most of the other White tribs are also closed since the new regulations were put in place on rivers that drain into the Puget Sound.

Unless you live close to the White and can put in a bunch of time exploring I would say don't even bother. There isn't much holding water, high gradient river. Not many fish.
  7. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,033 / 1
    Hmm, targeting bulls? Boy that sounds like a great idea but I think I'll wait until after I shoot that black rhino and I eat that last Dodo egg I have in my fridge.

As a from 7th to graduation Enumclawer I'd say that there are much better options.
  8. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +737 / 0
    Should be lumpy-humpies in there this year.
  9. kjsteelhead Member

Bellingham, Washington
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Even though the Greenwater is only open to winter whitefish below Greenwater Lakes, we have been finding lots of fishing trash. The Clearwater and other open tributaries are fun to fish if you do put in the time to explore.