Fishing tomarrow on the cowlitz any advice

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Ryan Couch, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Ryan Couch New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hey guys I will be heading to the Cowlitz river tomorrow any advice on what to use? I cant wait to land my first big fish on a fly pole and any advice would be great I have a 8 weight rod and probably running 10lb test for leader. Thank you all that respond.
  2. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    some advice would be to understand that you may not hook up with some big fish tomorrow
  3. Greg Price Love da little fishies

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +70 / 0
    HI Ryan,

I used to gear fish the Cowlitz from my drift boat.

We used to see a fly guide or two on the river with clients. They always seemed to have clients in broken water knee deep to waist deep flowing at speeds no faster than a walk. I have never tried it on the fly and would love to hear how your day went.

Best advice to actually catch a steely - hire a guide. Oh yeh, we fly fish with rods and bait fish with poles. No big deal, I was a newbie at one time and called my "rod" a "pole." Welcome to the forum and we look forward to a report. We all like hearing newbie stories because most of us were newbies at one time and we remember the steep learning curve for fly fishing.
  4. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,709 / 0
    Most reports suggest that this is the worst Cowlitz summer steelhead return in years, if not ever since the program began. One report I heard indicated it has gotten good. I may try it there myself this weekend, but mainly because I want to get some break in hours on my new outboard.

Oh, and poles are for stringing electrical wires on. Rods are generally used for fishing. 8 wt is good. 10# leader should be good. I assume you have a boat because the Cowlitz is rather poor for bank access.

Sg
  5. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +604 / 0
    The guys plunking the lower Columbia are starting to pick up a lot of fish, so hopefully that means the lower tribs will finally fill up. Been a terrible year period.
  6. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,701 / 2
    Been getting progressively depressed that I may not get to enjoy my Columbia trib fall routine.