Five rivers blanks

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Salmon fisher, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Salmon fisher

Salmon fisher Member

Hi everybody. I'm considering building a fly rod, and I was wondering what you think of the five rivers rod blanks from Dan Craft enterprises. There wasn't much info found from a google search, so I wanted to you if any of you have experience with them. I would probably be looking at a 10ft. 6 or 7 weight blank for the salt.

Thanks,
    Peter

2. SuperDave

SuperDave New Member

Never heard of 'em.

SuperDave

3. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

Media:
    I am sure James or one of the other resident experts will be able to give you all the information you would like. I am basically a hack, but I have built on three of Dan's blanks, two Signature V 4wt blanks and a 9' 6wt FT. The 8'4" and 8'9" Sig V blanks are hands down my favorite trout rods (I also have a St Croix LU, Sage VPS, Loomis IMX which is a great rod as well). My only reason for mentioning my other rods is that his rods are as good as any of the best. And his Sig V line just fits my casting style perfectly. A buddy of mine built a 9' 3wt on his five rivers Sig III blank and he loves it. The FT is very fast but can really throw the line and big flies, and this might be the line you should consider if you like faster rods. Dan is a great guy and I have had several long conversations with him over the phone. He is happy to answer any questions you might have. Also, if you haven't yet, go to www.rodbuilding.org and do a search for "five rivers" or "Dan Craft" and you will get more than you probably have time to read. He is very well respected and his blanks are very highly thought of.
    If you have any other basic questions feel free to ask. As I said there are some other guys on the board that have quite a bit more expertise than me.
    Let me know what you decide. I doubt you will go wrong if decide to give Dan a try.
    Take care,
    Mike

4. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    I have a Dan Craft 10' 7 wt that I built last fall for steelheading. Great rod. The straightest blank I have ever built on. Great service. Nothing but great things to say about it. I even did a great job on the rod. Did my first feather inlay.

Wayne

5. Jim Fitz

Jim Fitz Member

Media:
    I have a Dan Craft 10' 7 wt FT that I built last spring for steelheading. Great rod. Might be the straightest blank I have ever built on. Great service. Nothing but great things to say about it. I even did a okay job on the rod. Going to do my second feather inlay on this rod.

I built this with two butts because I had a piece of scrap cork and thought I'd try it out as a switch rod (for some double handed casting) although I haven't really tried that yet. I also built a 3 wt. DC FTL that is blast on smaller streams. I put pictures in my gallery but a blank looks like a blank I guess.

Mediger summed it up. You would be hard pressed to find the experts on www.rodbuilding.org site say anything bad about Dan's blanks. Search on FT (Fast Taper) or FTL (Fast Taper Light) as well. In terms of bang for your buck, these are great blanks.

6. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    What everybody else said.... The big cavet... In general I find the Sig V line to be the cherry of his products. I like the FT, but it really is fast, and is tough to use for finesse style fishing. I would also say his FTL is a *perfect* rod for moderate casting styles that like a slower more lazy presentation.

-- Cheers
    -- James

7. Salmon fisher

Salmon fisher Member

Thanks for the input everybody. I have another question. It is totally unrelated, but I'm talking about the same rod.

If I build this rod, I will be paying less than I expected for the blank (I was thinking about sage or something before I came across these five rivers rods). So I might pay extra for good components. Heres my question: is it worth it to get the highest grade preformed cork grips possible? I googled it and didn't find any info on different cork grades, so any info you have would be great.

8. Craig Hardt

Craig Hardt aka Nagasaurus

Media:
    At a certain point the cork will "feel" the same even with some defects in it since they are so small your hand can't tell--even if your eye can see more of the little imperfections in the natural cork. So IMO if you are looking for something functional then I wouldn't worry about spending the big bucks on the super high grade cork, just get a "good" grip and spend the money on a nice reel seat and fancy guides instead.

Lots of good info at rodbuilding.org, here is one example: http://www.rodbuilding.org/read.php?2,184384,184396#msg-184396.

Cabela's has some "FLOR" grade cork grips on sale for $10 right now you might want to check out.

There is also burl cork and "bamboo" cork out there that looks interesting and may be an option for something different.

9. James Mello

Media:
    For the most part preformed grips will all be around the same quality within a specific price range. For instance one mans $10 "flor" grip will be just about as good as another companies $12.50 "super fine" grip.

The *best* possible grip you can get for your rod is to actually go to a store and purchase individual rings. Inspect them individually for defects, glue, and sand it to your preferred shape.

With that all said, in general nice grips aren't any more durable or functional in any way shape or form. In general when I do use preformed grips (pretty rarely), I just get the standard stuff from Anglers Workshop, Janns Netscraft, etc. They've been fine, but certainly I didn't see any *huge* quality difference between the "flor" and "extra fine" grips they offered.

10. Stan Grace

Stan Grace Trout Trainer

If you build on your first Dan Craft blank there is a very good chance you will build another and another and another,etc. Great blanks and fairly priced.

11. James Mello

Media:
    Good to see you here Stan... I must second that sentiment... good blank, good price, good guy selling them...

12. ibaia

ibaia New Member

hello,I have a problem, I have a rod five rivers 9 feet it lines 5 3 pcs and another 9 feet linea4 3 pcs and I have broken the tips, I am not able to communicate with they Dan craft. he has somebody their telephone, fax, e-mail, thanks to all, you excuse for my English (I live in spain)

13. FLGator

FLGator Member

dancraftent.com

14. ibaia

ibaia New Member

thank you, fl gator,,,but me wise the web of they Dan, the problem is that I am sending e-mail and he doesn't answer me, not you which it is the problem, for that reason requests help, thank you

15. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

Media:
    Home Page:
    Salmon Fisher-

If you ever make it over to the Redmond area come see me at FethaStyx. I Have a Dan Craft 10' 5wt you can cast and see how you like it along with a bunch of other blanks. We also have all the cork you will ever need in full grips and rings along with reel seats. Send me a PM if you would like anymore info.

Here is a pic of the Dan Craft I just built

16. Salmon fisher

Salmon fisher Member

Speir- great lookin rod. I still haven't gotten around to getting the blank ordered, and am now debating whether to get a 9 ft. rod or a 10 ft. one. Maybe you can offer some ideas? It sounds to me that the 9 ft. rod is a rocket, and while the 10 footer is longer, it's action is quite as nice. (just what i have concluded from research.

17. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Media:
    The ten footers are plenty fast. You will like either rod.

18. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

Media:
    Home Page:

Are you sold on the Dan Craft rod? I work with lots of different blanks all day long, and honestly their are better blanks for less money imo. Don't get me wrong I like the DC blanks but you should think about some other options. I know some people have had a hard time getting in contact with Five Rivers.

As far as a 10' or 9' fast or slow depens on what type of fishing you are looking to do. I like the fast 10' rods for lake fishing. Longer distance in casting, you can throw streamers, and makes for a good bass rod if you are into that. If you are more of a river guy I would not go with the 10' fast blank.

19. James Mello

Media:
    Which in particular are you talking about? For the price I was under the impression there wasn't a whole lot of options. The Pac Bay stuff I've never been a fan of, but I'm open to hearing new things if you got info! :)

20. Salmon fisher

Salmon fisher Member

I'm thinking about a rod mostly for SRCs and resident silvers (6 wt). I'm pretty much sold on the Dan Craft blanks, unless you know of any better ones in the same price range.